3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 8:39 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Formatting a string value with a comma separator

Laura Kazan

I recently stumbled upon a work around for adding comma separators when using strings for numeric values. The tutorial I found explains exactly what I am trying to attempt. Unfortunately, even when I followed it step by step exactly I cannot get the comma in the numbers. I notice that this tutorial is from a few years back. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if Tableau fixed the "bug" that allowed this work around.Has anyone had any success with comma separators in strings?

Joe Mako's Tumblr : Tableau Parameter and Table Calc Tutorial Video:...

• 1. Re: Formatting a string value with a comma separator
          Shawn Wallwork

Hi Laura, that was fun. I hadn't seen it in a couple of years. First let me help you post 'better' questions in the future; please read this document: http://community.tableau.com/docs/DOC-5065 especially #1 and the note at the bottom. It would have been nice if you'd posted a packaged workbook so we could see exactly which step you missed or where your syntax went wrong.

If you're using the LOOKUP() to put in the comma separator, that no longer works. T considered it a bug and fixed it

If you're not using an extract then you can use RAWSQL to get the formatting you want:http://community.tableau.com/thread/118621 Line #7 "Impressions" will give you the comma separator.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Formatting a string value with a comma separator
            Laura Kazan

Hi Shawn -

All I really wanted to know is if the bug was fixed. Seems it was. I should have mentioned it was the LOOKUP() bug.

I prefer not to initially add a packaged a workbook because I am working with sensitive data (FERPA rules) and therefor it was important for me to find out if the bug had indeed been fixed before I spent the time to create a workbook with bogus data. Once again, I failed to mention it was the lookup bug so it might have been confusing.

I am using an extract and Excel so your example will not work for me. I have created another workaround so it is no longer an issue. One thing to note. When searching Google for an answer to this question, the videos and threads that use the LOOKUP() option are prominently displayed but with no notation that they no longer work in V8. It might be a good idea to add a comment for users who are now searching for ideas. I imagine that anyone who used this workaround before V8 and then upgraded their workbooks will find a bit of a shock when their comma separators are no longer working!

The link to the document you posted didn't work for me and it says I was unauthorized to view it.

Thanks for answering and verifying that the bug is no longer a work around.

• 3. Re: Formatting a string value with a comma separator
              Shawn Wallwork

Laura, thanks for the note on the "unviewable" document. I'll have to work with The specified item was not found. and Tracy Rodgers to either open this area to everyone, or unlock the version of this document that was put in canvas.

Glad you found a workaround. And you're right, eliminating this "bug" without providing an easy alternative is a bit annoying.

Cheers,

--Shawn