3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 10:32 AM by Tj Claridge

How, using tableau online, do we filter a central dataset so that clients can only see their part?

Colin Harper

The instructions seem only to relate to Tableau server. Basically, they suggest pulling in a filter. Which is fine if the filters were not all mutually exclusive. So that when you pull in one filter, another one prevents all data coming through.

What we need is a filter that is login responsive. so that as people enter a group they see only the data that the group is allowed to see. This needs to be set up on the server.

Anyone got any ideas about how we can do this, or about how we can get an alternative way out. This might be, of course, simply separate logins, with separate sites, and every day we send up separate (filtered) views of the same data.

• 1. Re: How, using tableau online, do we filter a central dataset so that clients can only see their part?
          Tj Claridge

I may or may not completely understand your question but I'm taking a shot anyway....

I think you'll need at least two dashboards to maintain. If you are connecting to a DB then this process gets a little easier after the dashboard is build as Tableau server can just update the connected source's extract. Flat files (excel, csv), these will be a bit more of a hassle. In any approach

I've created my user filter option using an example from Tableau (Example - Setting User Filters) and I was able to get it to work as I would expect with only minor issues on the dashboards. Using the user filter approach to design takes a unique approach to maintain a visually complete dashboard. You run the risk of pot holing (my term) your dashboard depending on user - meaning areas of your dashboard are just blank boxes. I gave one user access to Costs by Region and limited them to only East. But my dashboard had a selector for Region so when they select any other region than East, all my sheets go blank or views that didn't have Region tied to them still show. It looks like a skeleton dashboard frame. Not exactly a clear indication you don't have permission to see that data and prompts more questions.

This is where two dashboards address the issue; Admin and Limited User. This is because you want to include a filter for "Region" on the Admin dashboard so they can drill in. The limited users only see their specific region so they do not need this filter at all.

An additional option is to check out the API options with dashboards now. You can use this to set filters based on the user logging in to your client web portal for example and modify the view to provide only that information. Check this blog post for an example - New in 8: Javascript API pt. II | Tableau Public. It isn't exactly clear at first, but click the hyperlinks in the text of this article to see how the dashboard updates. In this sense you would be able to use the API to draw the dashboard based on buttons or links within the web portal and only show filters to which all users to have access. The APIs would have to be specific to the user's access.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: How, using tableau online, do we filter a central dataset so that clients can only see their part?
            Colin Harper

HI TJ

Thanks very much for this reply, which actually was helpful. However, the issue that we basically had (we now know) was that the account was set up wrong, so that the online data could not read the filters I had set up. We are now getting somewhere with this.

However, we do want to have a look at the API.

So lots in what you said to think about, and thanks for taking the time.

• 3. Re: How, using tableau online, do we filter a central dataset so that clients can only see their part?
              Tj Claridge

Glad to hear it was easier than we thought . I haven't done much with the API approach but I'm also looking into utilizing this approach as well.

Glad to help.