1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 9:30 AM by Tamas Foldi

How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?

Attila Horváth

Hello,

Is there a way to use a datasource tdc file or something similar to costumize a datasource connection in tableau server 8.0? I'm willing to use an odbc driver which has read only functionality and doesn't support temporary tables, that's why i'd need a tdc file, so it would work as it works on tableau desktop.

Attila

• 1. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
          Russell Christopher

Hey There -

Depending on how where / how you installed your Server, can should be able to copy your TDC to one of the following locations:

• C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources (Default install location)
          • <drive>:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources
          • <drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
            Attila Horváth

Hi there,

I have tried out the solution that you have suggested here, but there has been no changes in the behavior after copying the files, i wrote to tableau support to ask for further assistance and after some conversation i got the answer:

Hello,

Your case #00379734 has been updated. The new comment is:

Hello Attila,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, at this time the ODBC connection cannot be customized on the Tableau Server side.

I have submitted the feature request for review.

Please let me know if there are any further questions.

Thank you for being a valued Tableau customer!

Please find your case summary below. To update this case via email, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Maryll

Tech Support

Tableau Software

• 3. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
              Robert Morton

Hi Attila,

Did you restart your Tableau Server instance after placing the TDC file in the correct location? If one of the locations Russell suggested did not work, try also placing a TDC file in the directory containing all the Tableau Server binaries, such as 'vizqlserver.exe'.

-Robert

• 4. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                Attila Horváth

Hi Robert,

Thank you for helping me out with this issue, could you please give me some further assistance? I copied the tdc file to my tableau server's bin drirectory, where my executionals are located and restarted the server, my tdc file is:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

<connection-customization class='genericodbc' enabled='true' version='8'>

<vendor name='#vendor#' />

<driver name=''#drivername#' />

<customizations>

<customization name='CAP_CREATE_TEMP_TABLES' value='no' />

<customization name='CAP_SUPPRESS_DISCOVERY_QUERIES' value='yes' />

<customization name='CAP_SKIP_CONNECT_VALIDATION' value='yes' />

<customization name='SQL_SQL_CONFORMANCE' value='1' />

</customizations>

</connection-customization>

I have checked in the registry if the driver name mathes case sensitive.

The behavior sadly didn't change. Could you please tell me if there is a way i can ensure that the tdc file has been loaded? For example some kind of log file?

i'm using tableau server:

• Version 8.0.3 (Build 8000.13.0712.1936)
                • 5. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                  Russell Christopher

Hi Again!

In the regular Desktop log, you'll see something like this appear (I'm connecting to redshift with a tdc for same):

2013-09-20 08:00:38.878 (-,-,-,-) 13dc: Found TDC 'C:\Users\russch.SIMPLE\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources\redshift-joins-assume-constrained.tdc'.

2013-09-20 08:00:44.235 (-,-,-,-) 13dc: Found matching TDC 'C:\Users\russch.SIMPLE\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources\redshift-joins-assume-constrained.tdc' for class='redshift', vendor='redshift', and driver='redshift'.

2013-09-20 08:00:44.235 (-,-,-,-) 13dc: DataConnection::ApplyCustomizations: Setting capability CAP_QUERY_JOIN_ASSUME_CONSTRAINED to yes.

2013-09-20 08:01:03.360 (-,-,-,-) 13dc: Found matching TDC 'C:\Users\russch.SIMPLE\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources\redshift-joins-assume-constrained.tdc' for class='redshift', vendor='redshift', and driver='redshift'.

2013-09-20 08:01:03.360 (-,-,-,-) 13dc: DataConnection::ApplyCustomizations: Setting capability CAP_QUERY_JOIN_ASSUME_CONSTRAINED to yes.

If you look in the Vizqlserver<datetimestamp>.txt logs for Tableau Server found in:

C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Logs

You'll find the same sort of entries. The entries below are showing that Tableau Server does see the TDC I dropped into

C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources

...and has applied them:

2013-09-20 08:13:52.090 (-,-,default,-) 2474: Found TDC 'C:/ProgramData/Tableau/Tableau Server/data/tabsvc/vizqlserver\Datasources\redshift-joins-assume-constrained.tdc'.

2013-09-20 08:15:59.569 (-,-,-,Ujw8f8CoyyIAACBkA9YAAABd) 29cc: ACTION: New Workbook

2013-09-20 08:16:00.097 (Default,russch,5BCE000BCEC74E20993002268A3712AE-0:0,Ujw8f8CoyyIAACBkA9cAAABd) 33a8: Found matching TDC 'C:/ProgramData/Tableau/Tableau Server/data/tabsvc/vizqlserver\Datasources\redshift-joins-assume-constrained.tdc' for class='redshift', vendor='redshift', and driver='redshift'.

2013-09-20 08:16:00.098 (Default,russch,5BCE000BCEC74E20993002268A3712AE-0:0,Ujw8f8CoyyIAACBkA9cAAABd) 33a8: DataConnection::ApplyCustomizations: Setting capability CAP_QUERY_JOIN_ASSUME_CONSTRAINED to yes.

2013-09-20 08:16:00.098 (Default,russch,5BCE000BCEC74E20993002268A3712AE-0:0,Ujw8f8CoyyIAACBkA9cAAABd) 33a8: RedShiftConnection::SetRelation: SQLMetadataRewriter not found.

2013-09-20 08:16:00.098 (Default,russch,5BCE000BCEC74E20993002268A3712AE-0:0,Ujw8f8CoyyIAACBkA9cAAABd) 33a8: RedShiftConnection::SetRelationNames: SQLMetadataRewriter not found.

2013-09-20 08:16:00.098 (Default,russch,5BCE000BCEC74E20993002268A3712AE-0:0,Ujw8f8CoyyIAACBkA9cAAABd) 33a8: Found matching TDC 'C:/ProgramData/Tableau/Tableau Server/data/tabsvc/vizqlserver\Datasources\redshift-joins-assume-constrained.tdc' for class='redshift', vendor='redshift', and driver='redshift'.

So from what I can see, this process does indeed work - at least for the TDC and data source I'm working with.

Hope this helps!

• 6. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                    Robert Morton

Thanks Russell, this will be a useful post to cross reference!

To add to your guidance, I think that the Server admin will also have to place a copy of that file under the Datasources folder for 'dataserver' and 'backgrounder' (if such a folder exists), and possibly others.

-Robert

• 7. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                      Tamas Foldi

You are out of office so let me reply here

Could you check if you use the same TDC file on the same server with Desktop, does it work? Also what happens if you schedule an extract on a published datasource instead of refreshing a workbook

• 9. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                        Tamas Foldi

Sorry, I asked from Attila. I would not ask anything from you as you helped already a lot (=thanks).

I am just wondering if 64bit vs 32bit ODBC driver stuff can cause any problems

But lets wait Attila's answer what was the result after putting the TDC into the tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources directory

• 10. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                          Attila Horváth

Hello guys,

Thank you for helping us out with this, i'm currently investigating in the solutions you provided, and as soon as i have any progress i'm going to note it here. Let me ask one more question that got into my mind, is it possible that the server version we are using has not yet got the tdc feature? Clearly i am doing something wrong but it is really hard to figure out why its not working for me just yet, i'm going to cross check on talbeau desktop on the server environment and see if it works,

we do really appreciate you support,

Thank you again,

Attila

• 11. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                            Attila Horváth

Hello,

A quick follow up:

I have cross checked if the tdc file works on the server environment with tableau desktop and its okay. I checked the logs you mentioned earlier and i have found the corresponding lines:

Found TDC 'C:/Program Files/Tableau/Tableau Server/data/tabsvc/vizqlserver\Datasources\odbctest.TDC'.

However i can't find any log entries about matching the tdc file to the connection, when running a refresh on it. Do you have any suggestions what can cause this problem? The same tdc file using the same dsn and driver instance works on tableau desktop on the server environment. First i thought that maybe the driver or vendor name is not getting properly to the server side after exporting the data-source, however the driver properly logs out on a server side refresh that it has been called and what is going on, so it should not be that, which means the server should be able to match the tdc file properly. I can see tableau server creating queries as: "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE..." which is what we are trying to avoid by the tdc file usage.

Thank you,

Attila

• 12. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                              Russell Christopher

I’ve been testing on 8.04, but as far as I know, the information itself isn’t really that new.

• 13. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                                Robert Morton

You may need to place another copy of the TDC file under the 'backgrounder\Datasources' folder, since it's the backgrounder (not vizqlserver) that handles extract refresh operations.

-Robert

• 14. Re: How to costumize ODBC datasource for tableau server, like via tdc file on desktop?
                                  Attila Horváth

Thank you for the extra information,

We may consider updating to 8.04. I forgot to mention that i can see the TDC file has been loaded in the backgrounder's log files also.

Attila

1 2 Previous Next