5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 3:11 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Graphing Overlapping Groups/Sets of Data

leonor.keller

Good morning,

I would like to create a graph that displays data for one institution compared to the averages of two benchmark groups. Unfortunately, the two benchmark groups may have overlapping institutions in them. That is, it is not enough to simply create three groups on "Institution". I have tried the Tableau Sets feature to rectify this problem, but it graphs the intersection of multiple sets rather than the individual sets themselves.

Does anyone please know a way me to graph these overlapping but distinct groups?

Thank you very much!

• 1. Re: Graphing Overlapping Groups/Sets of Data
          Shawn Wallwork

Good morning to you Leonor: http://community.tableau.com/docs/DOC-1476 See #1

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Re: Graphing Overlapping Groups/Sets of Data
            leonor.keller

Shawn,

I didn't realize that I should attach a workbook! I've made a simplified one below.

So, for example, let's say I wanted to compare Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College with two different benchmark groups. In this case, let's say I wanted to compare the college to all universities whose name starts with A and then to a second group of institutions who are located in Georgia, Alabama, Florida or Maryland. These groups have discrete institutions, but also have overlapping institutions.

I've tried to create groups on the Institution Name variable, but could not get the same institution represented into several different groups. I've also created sets, but was unable to graph the sets to achieve my ultimate goal: A bar chart with three bars -- Abraham Baldwin, All A Institutions, and Southern Institutions + Maryland. (As in the Sample Graph sheet, but with the possibility of group A and B overlapping).

In the end, I would like to do this with much larger groups, based on variables they have in common (e.g., benchmark against all southern states, as well as benchmark against all states that have a Carnegie Classification value of 8 or higher).

Thank you,

Leonor

• 3. Re: Re: Re: Graphing Overlapping Groups/Sets of Data
              Shawn Wallwork

Not a problem, Leonor, it's #1 on our list for a reason. Take a look at the attached and see if it's what you're looking for.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Re: Re: Graphing Overlapping Groups/Sets of Data
                leonor.keller

Shawn,

Thank you for your rapid response! I see that you created new measures for each group, which definitely solves the problem. However, I do need to be able to use this grouping consistently, for a multitude of variables, and was wondering if there was not the possibility of creating these groups consistently to compare on graduation rate and several other variables without each time creating a new calculated variable to graph. That is, is it possible to create groups as dimensions to be able to easily pull them into charts?

• 5. Re: Re: Re: Graphing Overlapping Groups/Sets of Data
                  Shawn Wallwork

What do you mean by a "multitude of variables"? Tableau doesn't have variables. We work with Measures and Dimensions. Also, i'm really not sure what you're going for, when you say "easily pull them into charts". I'm also not sure what is not right about your tab "Sample Graph". Is the calculation wrong? Is the visualization somehow different from what you want? Do you just not like creating groups by hand? Or is it that you can't use Measure Values/Names in a calculated field?

I'm just clear what the complaint is. And the goal.