1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 8:29 PM by Bruce Segal

Joining aggregate queries

Tom Elliff

Hi, I'm new to Tableau so this might be hilariously obvious but I've been running in to a brick wall for the last few hours on it.

I have 2 data sources that I think I've managed to link by US State and then Year and Month (year and month are separate in one of my data sources but combined in another). I'm now trying to combine 2 simple queries so that I can use the larger data set to normalise the smaller one (which contains specific events that occurred in the larger data set) but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I have the query I want to do with the smaller data set and I've got a simple bar chart for amount of records per state which is then set up with the months as pages so I can see the data at each month.

Does that make any sense?

• 1. Re: Joining aggregate queries
          Bruce Segal

Tom:

Are you trying to do a join in Sql, or trying to use the data blending feature in Tableau.

If the former, could you post some sample data for the 2 tables.

If the latter, could you post a sample workbook in .tbwx (packaged workbook format) Do a save as packaged workbook.

And btw, very little of this stuff is hilariously obvious. The first time I used Tableau I spent 6 hours trying to get a distinct count out of a .xls data connection. Drove a buddy of mine who's a dbase programmer crazy asking questions. Then I discovered that you can't do a CountD in .xls unless you first create a data extract. Oh yea, that opens up some additional aggregations for measures not otherwise available.

Stick w/ these frustrations (i wish we didn't have to deal with them) and it becomes worth it. Fellow users are very helpful. It's a great community.