1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 9:00 AM by James Carter Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
        Toby Erkson

NOT is related to SQL.  I use it in my SQL code.  To not have NOT would not make sense

Shawn, I agree, where the heck is the function reference guide?

• 16. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
          kettan

Although I rarely work with text files, I value very much a tip by Robin Kennedy that "text files in the same directory are treated like tables in a database". Read complete comment below:   bold + underline emphasizes mine

Re: Strategy for working across multiple data sources

I think what you need here is to combine your data using a UNION, not a join. If they are text files (csv?), then you can perform a union on each one so long as they are in the same directory (they are then treated like tables in a database).

For example if you want to combine Jan and Feb data, connect to Jan, then edit the connection and write a custom SQL statement such as follows:

SELECT [Jan#txt].[amount] AS [amount],

[Jan#txt].[date] AS [date],

[Jan#txt].[status] AS [status]

FROM [Jan#txt]

UNION

SELECT [Feb#txt].[amount] AS [amount],

[Feb#txt].[date] AS [date],

[Feb#txt].[status] AS [status]

FROM [Feb#txt]

If you want more months then juct keep going with more UNIONS.

There's more information here... the article relates to a spreadsheet, but the method is more or less the same.http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/union-related-data-across-multiple-excel-tabs

• 17. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
            Eric McDonald

Reversed LIKE Search

It's worth remembering that the:

WHERE <Parameters.Region Parameter> LIKE '%' + [Region] + '%'

syntax can have an expensive performance hit as the database has to calculate the LIKE part for every row.

• 18. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
              kettan

Thanks Eric, this comment is appreciated and true, particularly for bigger tables.

One scenario that performs well on bigger tables is when we join them with a small dimension table, because LIKE is calculated against the small dimension table and therefore not expensive.

I just tested this on SQL Server 2012 with a small dimension table (231 rows) joined with a big fact table (8M rows and 726 MB). There was no performance difference between following condition types (both costed 2 seconds):

Normal LIKE Search

WHERE [Region] like '%East%' or [Region] like '%South%'

Reversed LIKE Search

WHERE 'East, South' LIKE '%' + [Region] + '%'

• 19. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                kettan

Tableau Online Help can be used as function reference guide:

Functions

Operators  NOT included 

• 20. Re: Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                  kettan

Multi-Item String Search w/ Reversed Contains Search

Reversed CONTAINS Search.png

The technique used is similar to Reversed LIKE Search and therefore shared here.

Personally I am fond of this technique.

See more in attached workbook in Re: Using a parameter and a filter on a string

where this technique is suggested as a multi-string search solution.

• 21. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                    Eric McDonald

Oh dear Venn diagrams again

However these only use 2 circles so they work.

• 22. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                      Toby Erkson

Eric, what in the heck are you talking about.  I haven't perfected my mind-reading skills yet, much to my wife's dismay

• 23. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                        Brian Calvanese

Check out my recent post re: dynamic self join:

Flux Analysis // Dynamic User-Defined Self-Join

Useful for analyzing changes in time-stamped data without going cartesian...

• 24. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                          Eric McDonald

Weird, my post re: Venn diagrams must have been posted in wrong thread. Oops!

• 25. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                            Andy Holt

I am trying to create a UNION custom SQL query and it was all going well until I wanted to include an if statement. Does anyone know if that will work?

I tried googling and came to the conclusions (for some reason I cannot now remember) that I needed to use iif(...,...,...) but I cannot get it to work.

Here's my code:

SELECT [fact_sales_daily].[soldto_customer_number] AS [soldto_customer_number],

[dim_date].[fin_year] AS [Fin Year],

[dim_product].[item_description] AS [item_description],

[fact_BOM_components_current].[quantity]*[fact_sales_daily].[quantity_report]*<Parameters.retail price> AS [Sales Value],

iif([dim_soldto_customer].[soldto_payment_instrument_code]= 'T',0.985,1) AS [factor]

FROM ([dbo].[fact_sales_daily] [fact_sales_daily]

INNER JOIN [dbo].[dim_date] [dim_date] ON ([fact_sales_daily].[dim_date_key] = [dim_date].[dim_date_key])

INNER JOIN [dbo].[dim_soldto_customer] [dim_soldto_customer] ON ([fact_sales_daily].[dim_soldto_customer_key] = [dim_soldto_customer].[dim_soldto_customer_key])

INNER JOIN [dbo].[dim_product] [dim_product] ON ([fact_sales_daily].[dim_product_key] = [dim_product].[dim_product_key])

INNER JOIN [dbo].[fact_BOM_components_current] [fact_BOM_components_current] ON ([fact_sales_daily].[dim_organisation_key] = [fact_bom_components_current].[dim_parent_organisation_key]) AND ([fact_sales_daily].[dim_product_key] = [fact_bom_components_current].[dim_parent_product_key])

WHERE [dim_date].[fin_year] =<Parameters.Fin Year>

AND [dim_date].[fin_month_name] in ('Dec','Jan','Feb','Mar')

It all works fine until I put in the last line in the SELECT section (the bit including the IIF).

I get an error message saying that I have incorrect syntax near '=', as below.

Has anyone got any thoughts? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

syntax.PNG

Incidentally, I built the equivalent query in MS Access 2010 and it worked fine:

SELECT dbo_fact_sales_daily.soldto_customer_number,

dbo_dim_date.fin_year,

dbo_dim_date.fin_month_no,

dbo_dim_product.item_description,

[dbo_fact_bom_components_current]![quantity]*[dbo_fact_sales_daily]![quantity_report]*12000 AS [Sales Value],

dbo_dim_shipto_customer.shipto_payment_instrument_code, IIf([dbo_dim_shipto_customer]![shipto_payment_instrument_code]='T',0.985,1) AS Factor

FROM (((dbo_fact_sales_daily

INNER JOIN dbo_dim_date ON dbo_fact_sales_daily.dim_date_key = dbo_dim_date.dim_date_key)

INNER JOIN dbo_dim_product ON dbo_fact_sales_daily.dim_product_key = dbo_dim_product.dim_product_key)

INNER JOIN dbo_dim_shipto_customer ON dbo_fact_sales_daily.dim_shipto_customer_key = dbo_dim_shipto_customer.dim_shipto_customer_key)

INNER JOIN dbo_fact_bom_components_current ON (dbo_fact_sales_daily.dim_product_key = dbo_fact_bom_components_current.dim_parent_product_key) AND (dbo_fact_sales_daily.dim_organisation_key = dbo_fact_bom_components_current.dim_parent_organisation_key)

WHERE (((dbo_dim_date.fin_month_name) In ('Dec','Jan','Feb','Mar'))

GROUP BY dbo_fact_sales_daily.shipto_customer_number,

dbo_dim_date.fin_year,

dbo_dim_date.fin_month_no,

dbo_dim_product.item_description,

[dbo_fact_bom_components_current]![quantity]*[dbo_fact_sales_daily]![quantity_report],

dbo_dim_shipto_customer.shipto_payment_instrument_code, IIf([dbo_dim_shipto_customer]![shipto_payment_instrument_code]='T',0.985,1)

HAVING (((dbo_dim_date.fin_year)=2014));

• 26. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                              kettan

Your error messages mentions SQL Server. Therefore I assume you connect to that.

This is Excel syntax:

iif([dim_soldto_customer].[soldto_payment_instrument_code]= 'T',0.985,1) AS [factor]

This is SQL Server syntax:

case when [dim_soldto_customer].[soldto_payment_instrument_code]= 'T' then 0.985 else 1 end AS [factor]

• 28. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                                Andy Holt

Thank you

• 29. Re: Tableau & SQL Group
                                  Andy Holt

Thank you too