3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 10:06 AM by Robert Morton

Did you know you can copy and paste your outlook emails into Tableau? Friday Fun. ;)

Chad Kovac

Workbook: Emails from Tableau

Not sure why it won't let me paste the visualization...http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/Em/EmailsfromTableau/Dashboard1/1.png

• 1. Re: Did you know you can copy and paste your outlook emails into Tableau? Friday Fun. ;)
          Allan Walker

I haven't tried it, but this might work.

I'm not sure about exposing full names & companies publically... :/

• 2. Re: Did you know you can copy and paste your outlook emails into Tableau? Friday Fun. ;)
            Chad Kovac

Oh I doubt they care.  You can probably find the names here on the site anyway.

I was just impressed that Tableau parsed the sender names and stuff. Didn't grab the contents of course but it's still an easy way to visualize your inbox. 

• 3. Re: Did you know you can copy and paste your outlook emails into Tableau? Friday Fun. ;)
              Robert Morton

Hi Chad,

Yes, I've used this technique as a developer at Tableau to explore my email activity broken down by sender, recipient, team, subject, etc. We use our products a lot within Tableau

Here are some additional tips:

• You can add numerous additional columns to your current Outlook view, and these will all show up in the copy/paste data.
              • You can perform complex searches in Outlook and copy/paste the search results in the same way. This is a useful way to capture sent and received emails regardless of the folder they reside in.
              • Copies of the same email placed in multiple folders can lead to double-counting.
              • Emails addresses in the fields To, From, etc. may optionally have surrounding single quotes. Strip these away to ensure consistency with unquoted versions.
              • Semicolon-delimited fields such as To, From, etc. may represent multiple values within a single cell. There is no facility in Tableau for working with such nested data.

Last, it can be useful to group emails by conversation. To do this you must strip away the variations of 'RE:', 'FW:', etc. Here's a useful calc to do so, which requires a Data Engine extract due to the REPLACE function:

TRIM(
              REPLACE(
              REPLACE(
              REPLACE(
              REPLACE(
              REPLACE(
               REPLACE([Subject],
               're: ', ''),
               'RE: ', ''),
               'Re: ', ''),
               'fw: ', ''),
               'FW: ', ''),