5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 6:02 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Help Re-Formatting Chart?

Matt Lutton

Hello helpful Tableau Community:

I had a request today to try and find a way to provide a filter list of courses, and when a course is chosen, display the % of students that passed a standardized test on the vertical axis, and the grade letter they received in the course in the horizontal.  For example, I might expect to see students that received an A in English also had a high pass rate for the English test.

I have all the data I need, so its just a matter of figuring out how Tableau will display it.  I believe it would look something like this, where

TestResultsbyGradeReceived.png

I was able to get the following, and am seeking advice on how to approach translating this into something closer to the above:

PassedTestGradeReceivedChart.jpg

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as always.  I have been using Tableau for a month or so now, so I am fairly new.  As always, I appreciate all the help I've been given by the community thus far--you guys are amazing!

• 1. Re: Help Re-Formatting Chart?
          Shawn Wallwork

Provide a screenshot of the entire Tableau window of the last screenshot in your post, so we can see the pill arrangement you used to get this far. A packaged (twbx) workbook with just a bit of bogus sample data would be more helpful.

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help Re-Formatting Chart?
            Matt Lutton

I have updated the original post to expand the screenshot.

I know a packaged workbook is the best way to get help, but it'll take me some time to prep one and I thought it might be straightforward.  The filters shelf is enabling me to see one school and only the courses I want in the view.

I think I may have gotten it--see attached.  I think posting about it got me to think clearer, anyway.  Am I missing anything here?

PassedTestGradeReceivedChart_Solution.jpg

• 3. Re: Help Re-Formatting Chart?
              Shawn Wallwork

Matthew, if you've it then great. Have a good weekend.

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help Re-Formatting Chart?
                Matt Lutton

I think I do, but I will leave the post up in case anyone else has a similar question.  I am finding that sometimes the act of just typing out my scenario helps me think it through.

In case anyone continues reading, what I could REALLY use help with is understanding joins and data blending, and their impact on the resulting data.  It has become apparent that my lack of understanding in this realm is going to be extremely limiting in my current role.  I would like to get out in front of this problem as soon as possible.  I have read everything I can on this topic, and it seems to just pass right over my head.  I doubt there is a link anyone can send that I have not already seen... I've watched videos, discussed it with a co-worker and have read, read, READ... but I still am unclear on the topic.

If anyone is willing to participate in a webex to help me, I would be eternally grateful.  Perhaps a group session--I'm not sure how arranging that would work, but I could really use some help.  Can start a new thread if that is what I should do.

• 5. Re: Help Re-Formatting Chart?
                  Shawn Wallwork

From my point of view you handled this entire thread well. Asked a Q, admitted you might have found the answer, and then, most importantly, marked your answer correct (this helps us filter these out when searching for a Q to work on). Thanks for helping keep our forums 'clean'.

--Shawn

PS: And you're also right, it is best NOT to delete questions so others can learn from your discoveries.