8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 2:53 PM by Bob White

Dashboard Date Filtering

Bob White

I need to build some dashboards with dynamic date filtering -- the date filters need to update as the data behind the workbook changes.

I've been tasked with building some dashboards that allow the user to select the date range they'd like displayed.  Further, they need the ability to group/display the data by months or by days.  The mockup of the report that I've been given has two dropdown lists for the start date and the end date.  There is a set of radio buttons that are intended to toggle the data between aggregation by months or by days.

I expect to have to build two charts - one aggregated by months and the other aggregated by days, and the radio buttons would display the appropriate chart.  That's pretty straightforward.

However, I've not figured out how to swap out a dropdown list so that it displays on that either has whole months in it (e.g., Jan 2013, Feb 2013, etc.) versus days (1/1/2013, 1/2/2013, etc.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this?  In Desktop, I get a nice calendar selector, but that goes away when the workbook is uploaded to our Tableau 7 server.

Thanks,

Bob

• 1. Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
          Shawn Wallwork

Is this the same question as your other dashboard question? If so please delete this one. Thx.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
            Bob White

Shawn,

I couldn't find the other post and have received no feedback from it, so I figured I'd done something wrong and reposted my question.

Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Bob

• 3. Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
              Shawn Wallwork

OK, I thought it looked similar to your other date question. Guess I need to read more carefully. I don't know server, so I can't help you with this. But one of the server guys will probably pick up on this now.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
                Matt Lutton

If your date filter disappears when published to server, it probably has something to do with permissions setting.  If the person viewing it is set as a "viewer", then filters are disabled for that person.  If you change their permissions, you should be able to get around this and see the relative date filter in server.  I'm not sure if that helps or not, but its a common problem.  Wish custom permissions could be saved for various roles...    

• 5. Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
                  Bob White

Matthew,

I was referring to the calendar that appears when you put a date parameter on a worksheet in Tableau Desktop.  When you publish that to Tableau Server, the calendar widget goes away and all you can do is type in the date.  The filter is still there - you lose the widget - at least on Server 7.

Bob

• 6. Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
                    Matt Lutton

Hmmm, OK, that sounds strange.  Hopefully, someone from Tableau or someone with more server experience can chime in here.  Sorry I am not able to help more.

• 7. Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
                      Tracy Rodgers

Hi Bob,

The calendar drop down is not currently available on Tableau Server--you're not missing anything. Here is the link to an Idea to vote it up: http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1533

-Tracy

• 8. Re: Re: Dashboard Date Filtering
                        Bob White

Thanks, Tracy!  I have voted it up.

I am tasked with producing a dashboard that shows product orders across time.  The dashboard will show orders across days or months as selected by the user.  My date ranges have to be dynamic and change as orders come in.

I have already been down the path of having a parameter that selects among several frequently-used choices, such as YTD, this month, last month, and so forth.  I had a "custom" choice that then allowed the user to input a starting and ending date.  All that worked, but the problem was that the fields for starting and ending date didn't get cleared when, for example, YTD was selected.  YTD might be YTD May 2013, but if the starting and ending date fields contained 4/1/2013 and 4/30/2013, it was confusing.

Some of this may be addressed in Tableau 8 - I don't know - we're still on Tableau 7.  We will be moving to Tableau 8, but not before I need to have these dashboards produced.

Currently, I've built four views, two containing starting and ending months, and two containing starting and ending days.  I've added these to the dashboard and set them as filters for the charts.  I've built two charts, one showing sales by day; the other showing sales by month.  I've attached images of my dashboards - one of the month view and the other of the day view.

The problem is that using the months or days as a filter means an exact match.  There doesn't seem to be a way to filter order dates greater than or equal to the starting date selected, nor a way to limit order dates to be less than or equal to the ending date value.  Whatever is clicked in the date selectors, that's the only data that shows in the chart.

Parameters might be a solution to the problem, but they're not dynamic, at least in Tableau 7.

Can you think of a way to filter the chart I'm trying to make?

Thanks,

Bob