1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 7:54 AM by Joshua Milligan

Merge Groups from two data sources

Stephen Crocker

We have two and soon (well as soon as I create it) 3 data sources pointing to Google Analytics - we are transitioning from an old website into a new one.  All 3 of these have the same data in them as far as the Google analytics Date/Page and pageview dimensions and Measures.  I would like to setup the 3 data connections and then put the separate groups from each site on a single chart.

I guess my first question is, is that possible?  Second if it is how can I accomplish this.  I have created the group but it is grayed out and I can't use it, then if I try it messes up the other chart that was created from the first datasource

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Merge Groups from two data sources
          Joshua Milligan

Stephen,

This is possible, but it's a little tricky.  You can use data blending to link all the Google Analytics sources together.  But... if you've tried that you've likely noticed that you'll only get distinct values from the first (primary) source and then aggregates for other sources.

The trick is going to be to create "scaffolding data" -- a set of data that contains all combinations of dimension values from all the GA sources.

The scaffolding data might be a spreadsheet with a list of all the distinct pages and date combinations for all GA sources.  That would then be the primary source and you could then blend and get aggregated measures from the other sources.

-Joshua