2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 9:40 AM by Alex Kerin

Bug or me not understanding tde creation?

Alex Kerin

It seems that when I create an extract with a join, Tableau reports the wrong number of rows during the sort section:

rows.png

This is on an extract that ends up with 4.2million rows, no cross-product from the join.

• 1. Re: Bug or me not understanding tde creation?
          Russell Christopher

I don't know exactly how this stuff works, but I'll pass along what I believe to be true based on my observations. I had the same question a few months ago and spent a fair amount of time pulling the extract creation process apart by log camping...Don't take my answer as gospel, I'm probably only "close-ish".

The number you're seeing is the tuples ("cell values") being sorted (and/or compressed). If you look in the logs while an extract is being created, you'll see we often sort multiple columns together - so:

Sorting X values in column1 * Y values in  column2 * Z values in column3 together = 186,462,745 tuples (not rows) retrieved so far.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bug or me not understanding tde creation?
            Alex Kerin

Interesting, so it may just a wording change that would help. And that word would be tuples, a new one for me...