4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 8:37 AM by Toby Erkson

Data Sources display

Rosh ni

Im using Tabeau 7.0. I believe data sources are an effective way to govern metadata, so that one super user can define the way tables are joined, comments for fields, calculated fields, filters etc and then these can be re-used. Without going via data sources, there is a good chance people redo everything, join the same tables in different way, have different descriptions for the same fields etc.

Do share your thoughts on this point.

Secondly, when I have a local data source, I see the fields and Table Names, however when I publish the data source to the server, connect to the server one  to create a workbook, I see that the table names are gone. Now it has only the fields.

is this by design? I prefer to have the table names -  how can i get it back?

• 1. Re: Data Sources display
          Robert Morton

Hi Roshni,

Tableau 8.0 will preserve the original table structure when connecting to a data source hosted on Tableau Server.

-Robert

• 2. Re: Data Sources display
            Toby Erkson

Rosh ni wrote:

Im using Tabeau 7.0. I believe data sources are an effective way to govern metadata, so that one super user can define the way tables are joined, comments for fields, calculated fields, filters etc and then these can be re-used. Without going via data sources, there is a good chance people redo everything, join the same tables in different way, have different descriptions for the same fields etc.

Do share your thoughts on this point.

It's called "Cognos".

No thanks, I like Tableau how it is.

• 3. Re: Data Sources display
              Aaron Booth

Obviously a few years have passed, but Tableau seems to be slowly adding the functionality that will help organizations scale up. A lot of people like Tableau the way it is, although I suspect this is the case much more so with users/analysts and consumers of the content rather than with those who are responsible for operationalizing and scaling an enterprise analytics environment (data governance and IT mainly). You would argue, and I would agree, that empowering users/analysts to analyze and act quickly is more important than appeasing IT development and production support. But for those of us who are committed to empowering our analysts by scaling out an analytics platform, having the ability to maintain the integrity of a semantic model (for stable data sets, such as from ERP) ranks closely behind our users having the ability to incorporate data from a spreadsheet or live connection to data on the web.

It's great that Tableau allows users to quickly create data visualizations, but the functionality that Rosh suggests is what, behind the scenes, will allow us to scale - and drive more value from - the platform.

*We've come a long way since the original post.

• 4. Re: Data Sources display
                Toby Erkson

Back from the grave!

Yes, Tableau has come a long ways and using data sources like Rosh suggests is fine with me now.