5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 4:23 AM by Russell Christopher

Download Package from Server Couldn't able to see any data

Ravi Darasi

Hi,

My objective is to filter the data based on the user logged in and can download the packages from the server.

I have follow the below steps for Data Level Security

1) Create workbook use extract

2) Create user filter for the Dashboard(Here i have assigned the user to see which country)

3) Apply the User Filter to the Data Source Filters. Right click on the Data Soruce--> Edit Data SOurce Filters

4) Publish the Dashboard

5) Provide the user access to the dashboard with download option

When Singapore User Log's in, can see only Singapore data, but when click on the download, managed to download the package but open in tableau reader couldn't see any data.

Please help on this issue to resolve

Regards,

D.Ravi

• 1. Re: Download Package from Server Couldn't able to see any data
          Russell Christopher

Hi Ravi -

When you use User Filters, Tableau Server is responsible for establishing "who" the user is. If you opened up that downloaded workbook with Tableau Desktop, you would be prompted to enter your credentials, Tableau Server would validate them,  and you could see data.

Tableau Reader has no capability to "talk" to the Server in order to validate who you are. Tableau Reader is only good for completely disconnected scenarios, which yours isn't (you need to talk to Tableau Server).

Hope this makes sense?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Download Package from Server Couldn't able to see any data
            Ravi Darasi

Hi Russel Christopher,

Thanks for providing the information, i had tried using the Tableau Desktop edition to open the package. It prompt me to key in the server details, after key in the details everything fine.

I raised the issue to the Tableau server support, waiting for the reply from them.

Regards,

D.Ravi

• 3. Re: Download Package from Server Couldn't able to see any data
              Russell Christopher

Good enough!

FYI, we consider the behavior in Reader "by design". Reader is not designed to allow you to secure your data at all, so support won't be able to do much for you. Since you have Server, why don't you just make the workbooks available there?

• 4. Re: Download Package from Server Couldn't able to see any data
                Ravi Darasi

I understand the Reader is designed like that.

From Tableau Server, While download PDF/image it's downloaded what you see and you will get same. But same scenario is not applicable while downloading the package. I don't understand??

If we provide workbook to download, then we can provide workbook directly to them no need server(We are using the server for data/project security)

Currently we are in testing phase for Tableau server whether it will fit our scenario's.

FYI, some users prefer to download package to view the Dashboard Offline? then how it will support

This is issue  in Tableau server.

• 5. Re: Download Package from Server Couldn't able to see any data
                  Russell Christopher

Sorry, I don't think I was being clear.

• You create rules which are based on user identity.
                  • Tableau Server is the ultimate arbiter of who the user is. It does authentication.

Therefore:

• If you export a PDF or Image from Server, then it will be filtered by user identity because the Server is there to understand who the user is.
                  • If you open the packaged workbook in Tableau Desktop and connect to server by responding to the login dialog, rows will be filtered because Server has told Tableau Desktop who the user is after they login
                  • If you open the packaged workbook in Tableau Desktop and don't login to Tableau Server, you won't see anything because the server must tell Desktop who the user is.
                  • If you open up the packaged workbook in Tableau Reader, you can't login to Tableau Server at all, so you won't see any data.

In other words, you will always need Server in the loop to open a packaged workbook that uses user filters. If you weren't using user filters, then you could get away without using Server.

Clear?