4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 12:46 PM by Allan Walker

Irish Maps

Valerie Lynch

We are mapping customers in Tableau in Ireland, we've run into a problem where county Tipperary is split into North and South and County Dublin is split into city and country. Does anyone know why this is the case?

We don't split our customers to this level of detail and have only Tipperary and Dublin as the County names so some of the map is left blank when we import the data into Tableau.

Has anyone worked a solution to this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Irish Maps
          Allan Walker

Valerie,

If you give me some time today, I will knock up a viz for you with the GADM.org files.

If you have ESRI, have a look at this post. If you want to see how to blend ESRI with a GADM shapefile as a background, have a look at this post.

Ireland Admin 0, Datum WGS 84 : EPSG 4326, ESRI -> Tableau Connector, WMS as background shape, ISO naming convention

Admin 0.png

Ireland Admin 1, Datum WGS 84 : ESPG 4326, ESRI -> Tableau Connector, WMS as background shape, ISO naming convention

Admin 1.png

Note: (GADM caveat) These data are freely available for academic and other non-commercial use. Redistribution, or commercial use, is not allowed without prior permission.  So if you need permission contact GADM.org , once you have that, I can give you the TDE.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 2. Re: Irish Maps
            Valerie Lynch

Thanks for the details behind this

• 3. Re: Irish Maps
              Valerie Lynch

Appreciate the help, thanks

• 4. Re: Irish Maps
                Allan Walker

Valerie,

So the viz I did above uses the recognized ISO county names the same as the FIPS namesBut you might need the NUTS codes.

You need the 2011 Census tracts, the "Administrative Counties".

I'm downloading now from the Irish Central Statistics OfficeBear with me, and I'll update.

I've set up a colorswapper parameter on the dashboard for the values given by the CSO, and if you hover over the county, you'll see the detail on the tooltip.

Ireland 2011 Census Administrative Counties (includes "New" boundaries)

Ireland.png

Link to workbook here

I'm testing the validity of Tableau's filled map and background map resolution, so the dashboard is in full 1080p HD.  At this resolution, you can see the boundaries (actual 20m) compared to the default background map.

You can clearly see issues here: this isn't an issue of incorrect datums/projections, as I could put the shapefile as a background via my WMS server, but it just goes to show you've got to be very careful when presenting with "out of the box" mapping and geocoding/filled maps.

Borders.png

Caveat via CSO

Liability / Warranty:

•You are using a generalised, fit for purpose, non-maintained dataset; for access to and use of the definitive dataset contact OSi at www.osi.ie.

•It is your responsibility to ensure that OSi Data is suitable for your intended purposes and we accept no liability as to the fitness of OSi Data supplied in meeting your needs.

•We exclude to the fullest extent permissible by law all warranties, conditions or terms that may be implied by statute, statutory instrument, common law, custom or otherwise.

•We shall not be under any liability of any sort or liable for any damage, injury or loss whatsoever, whether in tort (including negligence) or otherwise, other than liability for breach of this Agreement.

•We shall not under any circumstances whatsoever be liable for any special, incidental, indirect or consequential damages including damages or costs incurred as a result of loss of time, loss of savings, loss of data or loss of profits.

Governing Law:

This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Ireland.