4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 3:25 PM by Val Herrera

Dynamic Color palette - using repeated colors

reaganmurray

I have a workbook where I dynamically change the category ... for each category, the "top ten" list of items is different.  However, sometimes depending on the category I choose, the same color will show up two or three times for individual items - making the legend less than ideal.

Is there a way to dynamically ensure that whatever category I show will choose unique colors for all my items?  I've tried different color palettes within tableau, but it is rather random and I'm always finding at least one or two iterations of my data with duplicate colors.

I could manually set every possible value to a different field, but this wouldn't work dynamically as my top ten changes month to month.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Dynamic Color palette - using repeated colors
          reaganmurray

Well, there are technically 170+  but for each chart, I'm only showing top 10 ... problem is, the top ten are different for all categories (some overlapping.)

I was thinking something along the lines of an action that re-assigns the color palette each time the category is changed.

I tried coloring by the "rank" for each, but then I lose the legend's ability to tell me WHAT is being ranked

(Using Tableau 7 btw, not sure if this is solved automatically in version 8)

• 2. Re: Dynamic Color palette - using repeated colors
            Val Herrera

Reagan, did anyone answer this question?  Did you resolve the color palette issue?  I am having the same scenario and would like to know what you did to resolve it.

• 3. Re: Dynamic Color palette - using repeated colors
              Matt Lutton

val.Herrera:

As this thread is pretty old, I would suggest starting a new thread, along with an example packaged workbook demonstrating the issue, as well as a mockup/description of how you need to change that (let us know what you want for your output).  This question likely was skimmed over because of the lack of a packaged workbook example--if you can post one in a new thread, I will personally see to it that you get a quality answer!

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Dynamic Color palette - using repeated colors
                Val Herrera

Matthew

Thank you for your email, I have created a discussion thread per your request.

Color repeats for two different data points in ... | Tableau Support Community

Color repeats for two different data points in ... | Tab...

I have a question pertaining to how Tableau assigns colors to a chart? I have attached a packaged workbook with a fictitious company to suppor... 

View on community.tableauso... Preview by Yahoo