2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 9:02 AM by Elena Barmina

Is it possible to get a sample workbook presented in a Tableau video?

Elena Barmina

Hi,

Video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M4lPzSvOeo

Is there a sample workbook available for this one? (I'm interested in the configuration of the first KPI report (Performance to Target)).

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to get a sample workbook presented in a Tableau video?
          Toby Erkson

That video was uploaded in 2011 so I'm willing to bet the answer is "no", especially since that is a couple versions ago.

Here's what I did:

I have a Tableau demo next week so I needed something to use.  The current reports we have are for an engineering audience and aren't very imaginative and the folks who will be looking at the demo are sales & marketing so they need the visual stimuli.  So I pulled up the demo videoand followed along to build the workbook.  The only part that didn't work was the last tab, where the narrator talks about data blending, because the example data source she uses does NOT come with the samples when you install Tableau Desktop   Not too big of a deal.  So now I have that demo workbook on our server for the S&M folks to play with to their heart's content.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to get a sample workbook presented in a Tableau video?
            Elena Barmina

Hi Toby,

Yeah, I got it...

You guessed right, I do need to create a workbook that'll be a "visual stimulus", but my goal is to get done a comparison to multiple targets in one view. The report in the 2011 video might have done the trick - but I wanted to look if the comparison is based on multiple goals (meaning each metric has it's own goal for the selected dimension).

Given that I'm very new to Tableau, I create stuff by backward-engineering the cool things done by the gurus . So just thought I'd ask about this comparison to target report because it seemed a cool thing to backward-engineer. (Ahem).

Thanks!