ustomer

QuarterTypeSales
      ABC2013-Q1Historic5000
      ABC2012-Q4Significant20000
      PQR2012-Q4Historic5000
      PQR2013-Q1Historic3000
      MQW2013-Q1Lost Significant0
      MQW2012-Q4Historic1212

One first view i am trying to show something like this with an action filter

Type2012-Q42013-Q1
      Historic22
      Lost Significant1
      Significant1

When clicked on the number it should refresh another view which gives me data for those customer for all the quarters ( even if data does not exist for the quarters) as follows.

Customer2012-Q12012-Q22012-Q32012-Q42013-Q1
      PQR50003000
      MWQ12120

Appreciate if  someone can help me with this?

Attaching the worksheet below, I got most of it working but it filters on quarter and only shows me values for 2012-Q4

• 1. Re: Question about action filter
          malisah fay

In the viz there is Triangle toggle where you can click and it listed several options. Click on Use as Filter. And go to the top bar and select Dashboard. Choose Action. This is where you go when you want your viz to interact with the second table. Click on Add Action, and you have to choose your table that you need to direct, and which table as a target. and click on single selection display, and click ok. 

• 2. Re: Question about action filter
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Ashish,

The way that the data is set up does not allow for all of the quarters to be shown for each company because there is no data for each company. I would recommend going back to the Excel sheet and adding 0's or other data.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 3. Re: Question about action filter
              Joe Mako

There are few options to achieve the results and interaction you are looking for here in Tableau, and no need to modify your data source beyond using custom SQL, and using an extract could be good in this case.

Attached is just one option. If this does not work for your constraints, other routes are available.

This route:

- uses two parameters to set the the domain instead of the secondary sheet you had in your Excel file

- connects to your data sheet twice, as two separate data connections, one as the original table, and another with custom SQL with an appended copy, using a UNION ALL on itself.

- the appended copy and parameters enable a calculated field that enables the Show Missing Values that performs data densification to add all quarters between the selected parameters.

- a data blend then brings in the aggregated values.

- a custom filter action is used to filter between the two data sources

So we are using the self appended data source as a kind of scaffold to enable the filtering and data densification desired.

• 4. Re: Question about action filter
                ashish.lakhani

Thankyou so much for you help !! This works.