1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2013 6:24 PM by Allan Walker Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Street Level Mapping
        Allan Walker

Johan,

Tomorrow I will give you filled polygons for OSM Water and the other two.  For street level zoom in Urban Mapping they are going to have to enable that, otherwise we use your Geoserver. Also, to enable fK89 datum, we have to use Geoserver.

When you have Geoserver, I will then re project all the above files in fK89 datum so you can have the foreground layers like above for analysis.

i have also discovered a way to merge all these files into a master table, so you don't need to show the foreground layers separately, basically by concatonating the files but with unique path orders for polygon type.  That might be really cool.

Then of course you just left outer join the tables to your other data.  Bingo - not just street level data, but (I think) for the first time in Tableau, address level data mapping.

Thanks again, very interesting project...

Update:

All the polygons are done now, here's an example:

Update.png

• 16. Re: Street Level Mapping
          Allan Walker

Johan,

I had some fun today.  I decided to do a bit of digging into the data - I chose to look at the OSM road data.

Here's what I found:

First of, the quality of the underlying data of OpenStreetMap for Faroe Islands is really good, and high quality.  UM unfortunately has not made street level zoom available, even though I can project the lines onto the canvas.

So I compared that against the data to publish at the Tableau Mapping website and a test WMS server to give me the basemap (what you will create with the OSM files on your Geoserver).  So you can see, your requirements can be met - even with the datum (fK89) you want to choose.

Next month, I am hoping to write a REST API for Geoserver -> Tableau (one of the missing pieces of the mapping puzzle).

Update1.png

• 17. Re: Street Level Mapping
            Allan Walker

You are very welcome Johan.

The Faroe Islands is a great test case for showing off just what can be done with mapping - water, relatively small area, sparse populous, different modes of transport, areas of natural beauty, and better, lots, and lots of wonderful data.

Enjoy your weekend

• 18. Re: Street Level Mapping
              Allan Walker

Johan wrote:

Lucky me 

You're not wrong.  So, I looked at that site, and the only thing (I think) you are missing is the satellite imagery - everything else is in the OSM files, you just have to look in the attributes.  I poked around on the gis.fo site, and they are definitely using Geoserver (and PostGIS).

Well, you will be pleased to find out that Landsat 8 has just flown over, and with all the other years the Landsat programme has produced a seamless, near cloudless, mosaic of the Islands.

Link to file ready for you (it's massive but beautiful, and we can geo-reference this for you in Geoserver)

You'll also be pleased to know that you could probably order high resolution orthoimagery from the Danish Government - they might even have this in GeoTIFF.

Landsat 15/30m resolution near cloudless in WGS84:EPSG:4326 (Preview)

ForJohan.png

If anyone else is interested in this kind of stuff, here's where to go to have a look:

Untitled.png

You use the "Advanced Query" to see the metadata and export the display.  It will give an option of png, jpeg, tif.  You can also choose the sensors, so if you understand how the birds collect the data (and know how to interpret the signals) you can do some very clever blending.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 19. Re: Street Level Mapping
                Allan Walker

Feeling inspired by this,

I tried to tell a story of (Street) Mapping using examples from where I was born.

Each of the maps are via a WMS server.  I won't take credit for any of the work, other than the photographs, and running the point data through ESRI. 

Clicking the photo should take you to the Tableau Worksheet.  The maps are super fun to zoom in and out of.

Edinburgh.png

Best Regards,

Allan

1 2 Previous Next