5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 4:40 PM by Venkateswarlu Vutukuri

Any way to include "Forecast Indicator" in calculation?

Andy Piper

All,

I am looking at government data from 2000 through 2012. I am trying to forecast out to 2015. I am trying to set up a tool tip that will be worded differently if I am looking at a forecasted or actual value. However, I can't seem to find a way to get this to work.

Ideally I'd like to  evaluate the "Forecast Indicator" value ("Actual" or "Estimate"); but the Forecast Indicator value is not one that can be accessed for calculation creation. I envision the equation would look like: 

IF [Forecast Indicator] = "Actual" THEN "spent" ELSE "is forecasted to spend" END

Since I cannot evaluate on the "Forecast Indicator" value, I've tried other calculations that I thought would work:

IF Year([Date])<2013 THEN "spent" ELSE "is forecasted to spend" END

IF Year([Date])>1999 AND Year([Date])<2013 THEN "spent" ELSE "is forecasted to spend" END

When I do this, everything comes back as "spent" in the tooltip for my data plus the forecasted data. Its as if the forecast data is "untouchable". Is there a way to access this data for evaluation purposes?

Thanks,

Andy

• 1. Re: Any way to include "Forecast Indicator" in calculation?
          Joshua Milligan

Andy,

I hadn't played with the forecasting much, but this prompted me to try various things.  Mostly I tried variations of what you had mentioned, with similar results.  I also thought that I might try a table calculation to see if I could get it to partition based on the Forecast Indicator.  However, introducing a simple table calculation into the level of detail caused the forecast to disappear from the view -- so, I guess I don't fully understand how forecasting works or where in the order of operations it occurs.

I'd love to know if anyone has any clarity on this.

Regards,

Joshua

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Any way to include "Forecast Indicator" in calculation?
            Shawn Wallwork

Ditto everything Joshua just said. I tried the same things and got similar results.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Any way to include "Forecast Indicator" in calculation?
              Andy Piper

Joshua/Shawn,

Thanks for looking at it and noticing my issue/concern with forecasting -- it appears as if the forecast info is "untouchable" and as such, you cannot customize your viz to work with it.

Andy

• 4. Re: Any way to include "Forecast Indicator" in calculation?
                Jonathan Drummey

The fundamental reason that the row-level (or regular aggregate) calcs don't return values for the forecasted data is because the calculations are (almost always) computed in the underlying data source, where those future dates don't exist. The forecast is a form of densification/padding happening inside Tableau, after those computations are complete. As of 8.0, row-level and aggregate calcs do not return the values of padded dimensions, we have to interpolate them via table calculations.

However, v8.0 Tableau forecasts are quite limited, you can't filter the view by a measure (regular agg or table calc), can't have measures on the level of detail (like a table calc that could figure out whether you were in the forecasted data or not), can't generate a forecast for a table calc, can't have a total-based reference line, can't use grand totals, and perhaps more. I haven't quite figured out yet exactly where in the order of operations that forecasting happens, it seems like it's a separate path that starts after data blending (we can forecast on a blended measure), skips table calcs and grand totals, but does let you do regular reference lines that include the forecasted data. It's a whole new kind of data denisification that is not currently accessible via the means we can use for other forms of padding.

To get what you need, given v8.0's forecasting capabilities I'd suggest that you pad out your data (either to add rows for the extra years or to add one row and turn on domain padding) and then build your own forecasting model.

Jonathan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Any way to include "Forecast Indicator" in calculation?
                  Venkateswarlu Vutukuri

I have the same issue , we want to show the YTD values (Actual +Forecast) on the Line graph Viz or in a different Worksheet

i am surprised we dont have this solution even in tableau 9.1

Any pointers are highly appreciated.

Thanks