5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 5:30 AM by Alex Kerin

Tableau 8.0 display large amount of data

Erik Leung

Hi all,

I am using Tableau 8.0 server and desktop and I have about 300,000 rows of data with about 10 fields of text/numbers to display in a tabular format. It is running very slow for me. For Tableau to query the data, render the view, it usually takes 2 minutes if not more (sometimes it even crashes). The performance is not acceptable for my client and I have tried varies things like data extract, index on columns, but nothing seems to help much.

The source data from Oracle is a bit of a mess with tables that has no primary and foreign keys defined. Does this affect anything as long as I have the index defined?

Looking forward to any replies, thanks in advance

Best Regards,

Erik

• 1. Re: Tableau 8.0 display large amount of data
          Alex Kerin

This is affected by so many things including the calculations you have (table calcs, string functions), by the connection to the dashboard, what's in the view and so on.

Have you tried the performance recording  -post the results of that: (start and stop before and after the query)

perf.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau 8.0 display large amount of data
            Russell Christopher

Hey Erik -

It sounds like the ultimate problem here is that you are simply rendering too much data. (This next part may sound rough / mean / aggressive - I don't mean it to be).

A human being is not going to get any value from looking at 300K rows of data in tabular format, therefore Tableau is not built to spit out hundreds of thousands of data rows in a table. We do data visualization, not data dumps. Tableau shouldn't be used as a way to export data from a data system to another, which generally is the reason why people try this.

In your case, you probably are dealing with a slow-running query, but even if you solve that problem, you're going to run into other issues as you're trying to display too many rows. The reason why you occasionally are seeing crashes is that the process that renders the report is probably running out of RAM - especially if you do something like render the same report a couple times in a row with different filters.

If you open this report in Desktop, you'll see that it generates a certain number of "marks" (lower left-hand corner) of the Tableau Desktop user interface - how many do you see? If there are more than maybe 150K-200K marks being generated, you're probably showing to much stuff. You should use filters to show less.

Let us know?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tableau 8.0 display large amount of data
              Shawn Wallwork

(This next part may sound rough / mean / aggressive - I don't mean it to be).

Something I wish I'd written/said on most of my forum posts. [I'm stealing this for future use Christopher.]

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Tableau 8.0 display large amount of data
                Erik Leung

Hi Russell,

I totally understand what you mean and it's obvious that 300k rows mulitply by n columns are many data for 2 eyeballs. The situation was a bit complicated as my client's client wants flexibility without technical skills. Which means they want to be able to build a report without knowing SQL. So I came up with the solution of running a large query with most data so that they can filter down from there. Without knowing what filtering would be it is still a risk that all data would be displayed simultaneously and I was just trying to speed up the performance for the 'worst case scenario' though it is unlikely that someone would want to view ALL data at once.

Thanks for the suggestion above regarding performance recording, it has become very good use.

Erik

• 5. Re: Tableau 8.0 display large amount of data
                  Alex Kerin

If there are marks being plotted on top of each other, there are ways of limiting that position to just one mark.