2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 7:15 PM by Jeff Zhang

Dashboard filter action do not working in some situation

Jeff Zhang

HI all,

I have a report which has 2 sheets. One is the histogram, the other is the raw data. I create a filter action that if I select one bin in the histogram, then the other sheet should display the corresponding raw data. But it only works in some situation (0%, 50%, 100% etc.) but won't work in other bins.

It's very weird to me, and I could not find out what's wrong in my reports, could you help me on that ? Thanks. ( attach the reports )

• 1. Re: Dashboard filter action do not working in some situation
          Shawn Wallwork

Jeff, I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what your Draft Price Dynamic Bin calculation is doing, and still don't understand your logic. But I do know it isn't doing what you think it's doing. Even when the Dashboard filter "works" (meaning it doesn't blank the sheet) it still isn't giving you the results you're wanting:

Wrong Calc.png

That 6.15 figure shouldn't fall into your 300% bin. You're using the INT() function to 'artificially' create bins, but the way you're using it only works sometime by coincidence. I think. I'm not sure how to fix this, because I don't understand the calc. But I'm fairly certain this isn't a Tableau problem, but a calc problem.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Dashboard filter action do not working in some situation
            Jeff Zhang

HI Shawn,

Thanks for you time on it.  The number issue you pointed out is another bug in the report. You can resolve this issue by uncheck option "aggregated measure" on sheet "Price raw".  The following show the right answer.2013-05-09_1009.png

And for the "Dynamic Bin Calculation", I just set several parameters "Bin max" "Bin min" & "Bin size" to let user control the bins. 

As the following shows, I could make the action filter show in the filter panel. And if I select "0" bin in the dashboard, and then return to price raw sheet, the value "0" in the action filter is automatically selected. But If select "10%" bin in the dashboard and then back to price raw sheet, the value "0.1" in the action filter is not selected automatically. This is very weird.

The issue I 2013-05-09_1012.png