3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 12:09 PM by Amy Stoub

Blending two (extract) data sources from Tableau Server 8 in Desktop Professional

Jim Thompson

I'm having a "problem" blending two Data Sources from Tableau Server Version 8 in Desktop Professional. They happen to both be extracts behind the scenes at the Server's Data Engine level...

There is a linking field (automatically performed by Tableau- ie same name) between the two data sets. If I start with simple items on the Rows Shelf from the Primary source (including the linking field) and have a totaled amount, I can certainly drop a field from the second data source onto the Rows shelf, but then things get unexpectedly wonky!

Here's the problem: if there is a match in the blended data source, the amounts disappear!? If the field is null then my amounts remain. huh?!? (See screenshots). I have tried changing the linking field from a Dimension to an Attribute, but this does not help...

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong? Or a workaround?!? This seems so straight forward that I'm baffled why this doesn't work...

Or, is there a fundamental flaw in my understanding here?!?

thanks for any help!

jim!