1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2013 1:18 PM by Mark Holtz

how to combine dimension and measure for logical formula

Ambi Nair

Hi ,

I have a situation where I need to filter at different levels for different regions.

Data

RegionCustomerPrice
      ANZC150

C260

C323

C440

C150

C260
      KoreaC170

C280

C360

C451

C140

C233

i want to write a case formula which says,

If Region='ANZ and Price > 100 then show me only those customer whose total price is more than 100 which is in this C1 and C2 should be displayed.

If Region ='korea' and price <61 then show me only those customer whose total price is less than 61 which in this case should display only c3 and c4.

Please help.

Regards

amby

• 1. Re: how to combine dimension and measure for logical formula
          Mark Holtz

Hello Amby,

I think I understand what you want, but I don't think what you said matches your data. You said that the ANZ & >100 results should give C1 and C2, but C2 in ANZ shows just 60.

You are asking to filter based on a dimension created from aggregated data, which I do not know how to do easily.

But, you could manipulate your data before bringing it into Tableau. Currently, there is no distinction between the first row of ANZ+C1+50 and the second. Are these separate transactions? Do they represent a different period?

If so, you should add a field to your data to designate that. If not, then there is no reason not to roll up your data before bringing it into Tableau.

If you had a single record per Region+Customer, you could accomplish this easliy but creating a calculated field as:

IF [Region] = 'ANZ' AND [Price] >100 THEN 'Show'

ELSEIF  [Region] = 'KOREA' AND [Price] < 61 THEN 'Show'

ELSE 'Hide'

END

Then you'd just need to filter on that new field.