8 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 9:08 AM by Russell Christopher

403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser

Tamas Foldi

I have a problem with tabcmd in windows AD authenticated environment:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\7.0\extras\Command Line Utility>tabcmd createuser group.csv  -s http://ap.....com/ -u 501911***

===== Creating new session

=====     Server:   http://ap......com/

=====     Username: 501911***

Password:

===== Connecting to server...

===== Logging in...

===== Login Succeeded.

===== Adding users listed in group.csv to server...

*** 403 "Forbidden"

The contents of the group.csv is fine, I can upload it from the Server's web interface. Any ideas? I am on a different PC that the server, using tabcmd installer copied from the server. Version 7.0.13.

• 1. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
          Russell Christopher

Hey there! Love your recent posts in the dev forum.

I see an old support case where someone saw a similar behavior. I don't know why the following "fixed" it for them, but it did:

Rather than including the username\password on the createuser commandline, use tabcmd login first, THEN use tabcmd createuser afterwards w/o the username\password. Then, explicitly logout.

Would be curious to see what happens when you try this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
            Shawn Wallwork

Hey there! Love your recent posts in the dev forum.

Dev forum?

• 3. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
              Tamas Foldi

Russell Christopher wrote:

I see an old support case where someone saw a similar behavior. I don't know why the following "fixed" it for them, but it did:

Rather than including the username\password on the createuser commandline, use tabcmd login first, THEN use tabcmd createuser afterwards w/o the username\password. Then, explicitly logout.

Would be curious to see what happens when you try this.

Hmm, no luck:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\7.0\extras\Command Line Utility>tabcmd logout

===== Log out completed.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\7.0\extras\Command Line Utility>tabcmd login  -s http://ap....

===== Creating new session

=====     Server:   http://ap...om/

=====     Username: 501911...

Password:

===== Connecting to server...

===== Logging in...

===== Login Succeeded.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\7.0\extras\Command Line Utility>tabcmd createuser group.csv

===== Continuing previous session

=====     Server:   http://ap..om/

=====     Username: 501911...

===== Adding users listed in group.csv to server...

*** 403 "Forbidden"

Should I raise a ticket then or is it just some configuration option limiting upload from other servers?

Dev forum?

http://community.tableau.com/groups/dev-community

• 4. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
                Russell Christopher

No, you should be able to do this from a remote machine just as you would on a local machine. Are you saying you CAN get this to work when executing it locally?

Also the user you're logging in as is a system administrator, right? (content admin isn't good enough).

• 5. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
                  Tamas Foldi

No, you should be able to do this from a remote machine just as you would on a local machine. Are you saying you CAN get this to work when executing it locally?

I have no local rights, so I don't know. And to get local rights to that server could take ages if not decades

Also the user you're logging in as is a system administrator, right? (content admin isn't good enough).

I think so as I was able to upload the same file and add the users from the wgserver

• 6. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
                    Russell Christopher

If you're not sure whether you really are a system admin, try using createsiteuser instead of createuser

• 7. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
                      Tamas Foldi

Thanks, with site users it works perfectly.

The question is what is the difference between the commands in case of a singe site deployment, why system user is not the same as the site user?

• 8. Re: 403 Forbidden with tabcmd createuser
                        Russell Christopher

I suspect that you are only a content administrator on this server. As I understand it, a content administrator can only create users in a specific site - not on the server itself. I suspect that even in a single site deployment you STILL need to use createsiteuser to plug users into the default (and only) site on the machine. We don't really "check" to see if the site has one site, or many.

If you are a system administrator, this distinction won't matter.