Stuart Wilson

Hi everyone

I hope someone could help me with this custom SQL query:

SELECT *, 'ASL' AS [COMPANY], 'ACTUAL' AS [LEDGER]

FROM [dbo].[SALFLDGASL] [SALFLDGASL]

UNION

SELECT *, 'ASL' AS [COMPANY], 'BUDGET' AS [LEDGER]

FROM [dbo].[SADFLDGASL] [SADFLDGASL]

The above is working fine but I would now like to join another table called SSRFACC to the above based on the following conditions:

COMPANY field = SSRFACC.SUN_DB

ACCNT_CODE field = SSRFACC.ACCNT_CODE

I am unsure how to group link the fields because of my union query unless I have to group all those tables together and reference them as one table.

Anyway hope someone can help with this.  I though it a simple join but looks more complicated to achieve in Tableau.

Thanks all

• 1. Re: COMPLEX SQL JOIN
          Alex Kerin

I would have guessed that you would do the join for each of the unions?

• 2. Re: COMPLEX SQL JOIN
            Russell Christopher

The variant of ANSI SQL your RDBMS supports will impact the approach that you take, but essentially you need to do a nested subquery for your UNION and then JOIN the results the 3rd table. Example stolen from the internet which uses different table/field names but will give you the general idea:

SELECT * FROM

(SELECT Customers.CustomerID, 0 As EmployeeID

FROM Customers

UNION

SELECT Orders.CustomerID, Orders.EmployeeID

FROM Orders) As E

INNER JOIN Employees ON E.EmployeeID = Employees.EmployeeID

...your WHERE clause will look something like WHERE (E.Company = SSRFACC.SUN_DB AND E.ACCNT_CODE = SSRFACC.ACCNT_CODE)

You might also find it easier simply to use blending "blend" the 3rd table (in a distinct data source) to the first two (in the original data source). This assumes you only need to get at measure values in the 3rd table.