7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 9:18 AM by Jeffrey Lutomski

Restore from back up  --no-config

Rob Bisaillon

When doing a  restore from back up using tabadmin restore --no-config what items are excluded in the restore?

• 1. Re: Restore from back up  --no-config
          Russell Christopher

System specific details -- Examples:

- The number of processes (vizql, app server, data server, etc.) that you are running

- Changes to the default configuration that you've made using tabadmin SET <property name> <property value>

- The name & IP address of the machine on which Tableau Server was installed

...It will restore your content, users, passwords, security details, etc.

What are you trying to do?

• 2. Re: Restore from back up  --no-config
            Rob Bisaillon

We need to stand up a new copy of Tableau that is located in a different data center that doesn't have access to the active directory where all of the users and tableau admins are locatred.  We are trying to find a way to move all the projects, workbooks, data sources to the new environment without the security and users.  We will be building a new set of active directory groups and assigning new permissions.  We were hoping that we don't have to build out the project folders and publish all the workbooks, and data sources manually.  Any thoughts?

• 3. Re: Restore from back up  --no-config
              Russell Christopher

I haven't tried this, but I'd think the easiest thing to do would be to use a --no-config restore, then just "Select All" of the users and delete them in one fell swoop....repeat the Select/Delete for groups, and then carry on...

• 4. Re: Restore from back up  --no-config
                Rob Bisaillon

The admin id that was used from the backup isn't going to be available on the new system. Wouldn't that make the new environment unusable if all the users including the admin ids isnt' available because the active directory groups aren't in the active directory?

• 5. Re: Restore from back up  --no-config
                  Russell Christopher

Ouch - good point. Didn't even think about that.

I'd probably check with technical support. I just browsed some old cases and I see instances of people doing just want to want to. In theory, I understand what the engineers had the customers do, but I don't want to inadvertently steer you wrong since I haven't tried this myself.

• 6. Re: Restore from back up  --no-config
                    Toby Erkson

Rob Bisaillon wrote:

The admin id that was used from the backup isn't going to be available on the new system. Wouldn't that make the new environment unusable if all the users including the admin ids isnt' available because the active directory groups aren't in the active directory?

When you install Tableau Server you must create the initial admin account.  You would use this admin to make your deletes like Russell suggested. 

• 7. Re: Restore from back up  --no-config
                      Jeffrey Lutomski

I tried tabadmin restore --no-config in our Dev server to see if I could import objects and then use that environment to test with Tableau server's newer versions and possibly Betas.

Here is what I found out:

1. The import worked fine if you had an existing version of Tableau server on the machine in the past.

2. After the verify of the backup file it asked for the admin password of the Dev server not the Prod server which the backup file was from.

3. It seemed to import AD groups, Users, and content.

4. Data sources were messed up if they depended on specifics from the other environment.

As its a holiday weekend, I didn't test that much. I'll include more if I remember next week.