4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 6:41 PM by ruth.wyer

Cubes - using actions to drill through to detail

ruth.wyer

Hi,

I have found the info below on the website

actions.png

I don't see how I can use actions to get to the detail data.  My understanding (which I admit is limited) is that you first have to create a worksheet showing all the detail, and then create an action from your dashboard to the detail worksheet.  How can I create that detail worksheet when the items are not available for me to either see or select? 

Thanks

Ruth

• 1. Re: Cubes - using actions to drill through to detail
          Richard Larion

Hi Ruth, All,

I have the same quesion...just moving from Excel to Tableau and trying to find an easy way to drill-through as in Excel. Did you find a solution to this yet?

Can anyone suggest any examples to look at?

Thanks!

Richard

• 2. Re: Cubes - using actions to drill through to detail
            ruth.wyer

Hi Richard,

I didn't get an answer.  I found the only way I could do it was to make the detailed items visible in the cube so I could select them in a crosstab report that could be referenced through an action.  This is not ideal and is not always an option.  If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

Ruth

• 3. Re: Cubes - using actions to drill through to detail
              Richard Larion

Hi Ruth, All,

Thank you for the tip!

We're still evaluating Tableau for a large corporation and this functionality is quite important for us to move forward. Can someone else perhaps help us with this or point to some sources where we can find more info quickly?

Ruth, could you point me to a article on the web that I could reference that describes the method that you used?

Thanks again!

Richard

• 4. Re: Cubes - using actions to drill through to detail
                ruth.wyer

Hi Richard,

Sorry.   There is no article that I can refer you to. I just got our dev guys to make the items available in the cube.  I then created a cross tab report with all the detail data on it and created a filter action from the dashboard.

Source sheet = the summary chart

target sheet = the crosstab detail.

Run action on select

You may need to play with which selected fields you want to use depending upon what items you have in each worksheet.  I'm afraid I cannot even send you a screenshot as we had to scrap that solution due to security (the version we are running is apparently not encrypted).  I now have a URL action that launches an SSRS report via a web browser.  this might also be an option for your client.

Sorry if that's a bit vague.  Because we use cubes it's very hard for me to upload screenshots that are anonymised.  Let me know if you get stuck.  If you need an article, you might find something searching Tableau help for ACTIONS.

Ruth