7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2013 5:03 AM by Russell Christopher

Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?

Thomas Bergonzini

I have been trying out Tableau 8 with some heavy workbook we are currently using with Tableau 7.

I was hoping for a clear performance improvement with Tableau 8 but what i actually get goes in the opposite direction.

Instead of 10 seconds to load, it now takes almost 20 seconds with Tableau 8.

By heavy workbook, i am talking about a dashboard with 10 views (each running in less than 2 seconds). The number of rows in each is less than 1 thousand and all views are using extracts.

I was hoping that the parallel rendering of Tableau 8 would help me with this kind of dashboard but apparently it does not (I just noticed on Tableau website that the parallel rendering is only available in Tableau Server).

Anyway, i am now wondering what kind of performance increase or decrease other people saw using Tableau 8.

• 1. Re: Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?
          Jonathon Stewart

Thomas,

Thanks for posting.  Is the workbook running of a data extract?  If so, I'd recommend re-extracting the data in Tableau 8.  Not sure if it will help, but it's worth a shot.

Cheers,

Jon

• 2. Re: Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?
            Russell Christopher

+1 on Jon's advice.

...and if you find this workbook still runs slower in v8 vs v7, please open up a case with support. The fine folks in development will want to see what you're doing in your workbook.

Good luck!

• 3. Re: Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?
              Norman Eckstein

Since I upgraded from V7 to V8 I'm totally frustrated.

I experienced so many bugs that I consider stop using it.

The software is slow as ****, crashes sometimes,

when I load a view with MySQL Data it takes 1 minute

when I try to export this loaded view into an image I wait 5 minutes!!!! and and attempt to cancel the processing request freezes the app, thank you!

I can't store passwords and I have to re-copy paste 16 char alpha-num-special-char passwords fro three db-conn everytime I load the worksheet that keeps on crashing.

I'm sure many other customers are unhappy too.

• 4. Re: Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?
                Russell Christopher

Hi Norman -

Please, please, please open a case with technical support so they can help you through these issues. You are definitely an exception or you'd see the forums lighting up with stuff like this - our developers will want to understand how your environment & machines are different and why you are running into problems.

Many thanks!

• 5. Re: Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?
                  Toby Erkson

Thomas, when you get an answer please post the solution.

• 6. Re: Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?
                    Thomas Bergonzini

The workbook i was talking runs on Extracts.

I completely deleted and regenerated the extract with v8 since i suspected this to be the problem.

I don't really want to get involved with Tableau Support yet, since this is a .0 version and i expect a bunch of bugs to be fixed in the first minor versions. From experience, trying to deploy a new Tableau Server version in production before x.1 is not a very good idea.

I would like to repeat that i did not test this workbook in Tableau Server yet and the web page for v8 new features states that the parallel rendering is only available in Server.

I need more time to anonymize the data in my workbook but i will definitely post a test workbook next time i try to play with v8.

ps: Some posts seem to disappear from the thread. I get email notifications but then the posts are gone on the forum.

Thank you

Thomas

• 7. Re: Do  you see performance improvements in Tableau 8 ?
                      Russell Christopher

Hey Thomas -

Someone else on the thread deleted "their part of it" upon realizing you were talking Desktop and they were talking about Server. That took our replies to their part of the thread with it. Happens from time to time.

I may come off as snarky in the next few seconds - this is not my goal, so please forgive me if I fail. I'm very passionate about this stuff   (This is a general comment, not directed at you)

We should generally be faster in Desktop & Server v8 vs. v7... or at least not slower (as Norman mentioned). Sometimes we won't be because of a regression (bug). It's software. it's not going to be perfect.

That being said, performance bugs don't identify and fix themselves. We need the community to report them to us by opening up support cases so we can fix what has been discovered. The "wait and see" approach to opening a case slows this process down significantly and everybody suffers.

There, said it. I feel better now. Thanks.

10 views in a dashboard is pretty heavy. I suspect you're also using quick filters, and they can take time to populate/re-populate, too. However, 2x the rendering time vs. 7 sounds screams "bug" to me. Have you tried using the Performance Recorder (off the Help menu in v8) to narrow down where your time is being spent? Our partner Interworks made a free equivalent for v7, too. You could probably compare the performance output info from your v7 vs. v8 workbooks and get a pretty good idea of what's going on.