1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 8:25 AM by Lila Neumann

T8 Filter Selected Worksheets in Dashboard Across Multiple Data Sources?

chris.cushman.0

Hello all! In Tableau 8.0, has anyone found a way to filter a subset of selected sheets (workbooks) in a dashboard if they are connected to different data sources? I have been trying it with a relationship defined between the two same fields on the different sources to no avail... Curious if it is possible, <pray>! Any assistance is greatly appreciated. -Chris

• 1. Re: T8 Filter Selected Worksheets in Dashboard Across Multiple Data Sources?
          Lila Neumann

Hi, yes, I've done this with parameters.

Let's say you want to filter on a field called "Direction"

1) Create a parameter (we'll call it "Direction Parameter" with the values you want to be able to select from: North, South, East, West

2) In each data set, create a calculation called "Direction Filter", with this code

if [Direction Field] = [Direction Parameter] then "Show" else "Hide"

3) Drag "Direction Filter" to the filters for each data set and filter just for "Show"

4) Use the "Direction Parameter" field to filter the values.

The only caveat is that you can't pick multiple selections.  You would have to create a value for each combination you want in the parameter (i.e. a value of "North or South") and extend the "Direction Field" code to handle it correctly.