3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 7:11 AM by Ken Hunt

Any best practices for distributing using Tableau Reader...?

Dan Benevento

Hi Friends,

I've done a ton of work with Tableau Server, but now I've run across several clients that want to exclusively use Tableau Reader to distribute reports.  Does anyone have best practices to share when distributing using TR?  Any common gotcha's I should look out for? 

For example:

• Security:  I know it's relatively easy to crack open a .tde file from a packaged workbook, so I tell my clients to use extract filters to make sure they're sending appropriately audienced data. 
      • View Underlying Data:  This feature is intentially left out of Reader, so an occassionally helpful work-around is to create a separate worksheet with a raw table look and feel that they can action to for more precision. 

Any others? 

Thanks

Dan Benevento

• 1. Re: Any best practices for distributing using Tableau Reader...?
          Shawn Wallwork

We use a Reader distribution model exclusively (at this point). While it is quite easy to 'crack' a twbx file (after all it's only a zip file with a different extension) I am not aware the cracking at tde is easy. Please advise me on how to do this, as there are times this skill would be quite helpful.

I'll take your word on the whole 'underlying data' issue as I've not experimented with it in Reader much.

There is one considerable advantage to using Reader versus Server, and that is how Reader uses the Page shelf. In Reader you can play/loop through pages (creating animations), while this is not true of Server (which requires you to click through the animation one page at a time).

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Any best practices for distributing using Tableau Reader...?
            Dan Benevento

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way to get to the .tde data in a clean format that would be easy to manipulate in another program.  That said, you can still open it up as a messy .csv file and see the sensitive data jumbled up a bit. I find this to be super frustrating because the data is formatted legibly enough for me to consider it insecure (especially since I'm currently working with very sensitive patient medical records), but not legibly enough to use it in a more meaningful way.  I'd certainly appreciate hearing other users' views on this.

Thanks for the pages tip. That is good to know.

- Dan

• 3. Re: Any best practices for distributing using Tableau Reader...?
              Ken Hunt

I too am looking for best practices or checklists when creating extracts. Perhaps a checklist of items to be sure to consider, when it makes sense to use an extract, when it makes sense to use one data extract as data source for several workbooks, scheduling vs republishing etc.