1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2013 4:04 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Calculating parameter on only a selected dimension.

Eric Schell

I've done a bit of searching for something like this, but haven't found anything.

I have a set of data.

Dimension - Student Name

Measure - Test Score

Parameter - Test Score Parameter //adjusts Test Score by percentage point.

I want to put this data in histogram with test score buckets and a count of how many students fall into those buckets.

With the parameter, I want to select a bucket and apply the parameter to only the selected bucket. So if I have the following test scores:

98, 97, 54, 93, 60, 57, 90, 78, 84, 95, 83

And I have buckets made up of 10 percentage points (91-100, 81-90, 71-80, etc.)

I want to select only the 51-60 bucket and adjust the selected scores up 1% so that my new data set looks like:

98, 97, 54(+1), 93, 60(+1), 57(+1), 90, 78, 84, 95, 83

I would also want to expand this to two selections or 3 or all.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Calculating parameter on only a selected dimension.
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Eric,

This part of the forums is more for discussion about the forums and not for answering questions, I'm not sure how your post ended up here.

In any case you'd create a calculated field like

CASE [Test Score Parameter]

WHEN "1-10" THEN IF [Test Score] >=1 AND [Test Score] <= 10 THEN [Test Score] + 1 ELSE [Test Score] END

WHEN "11-20" THEN IF [Test Score] >=11 AND [Test Score] <= 20 THEN [Test Score] + 1 ELSE [Test Score] END

…and so on...

END

Parameters are single select options, so if you want users to select a larger range then you'll need to create additional parameter options for the larger ranges.

Jonathan