3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 11:16 PM by Prashant Sharma

A few questions on hierarchies

Dan Sadowski

I'm a potential Tableau customer and I have a few questions. Using Tableau 8... how do you have a dimension participate in multiple hierarchies? For example, I would like to have a dashboard that has a page that shows top products by customer and another page that shows a view of top customers' products. From each summary line, I would like to be able to drill down into the defined hierarchy.

When drilling into a customer's products, how do I prevent the dashboard from opening up the product list for every customer? Expanding a level in a hierarchy appears to be an all or nothing affair.

Thank you,

Dan

• 1. Re: A few questions on hierarchies
          Prashant Sharma

Hi Dan,

Use of Actions will help you in this. If you will provide us some data or image than it will be more clear to us.

Thanks

• 2. Re: A few questions on hierarchies
            Dan Sadowski

I believe that I was able to work around the hierarchy issue by creating copies of my dimensions like so... Capture.PNG

That still seems to leave the headers on the report as Product_2... I'd like to be able to alias the header it to Product for consistency...

The other issue is that I don't seem to be able to expand one node under the Product -> Customer hierarchy on a report.  For example, I would like to be able to expand product A and see customers like so:

Product A

Customer 1

Customer 2

Customer 3

Product B

Product C

Instead, when I expand the hierarchy on Product A, I get

Product A

Customer 1

Customer 2

Customer 3

Product B

Customer 1

Customer 2

Customer 3

Product C

Customer 1

Customer 2

Customer 3

• 3. Re: A few questions on hierarchies
              Prashant Sharma

Hi Dan,

For the first problem, rename the name & give the space after writing the name like if you want product for many times then write "Product" for first & "Product " for second & for third "Product  ". Providing space will solve this problem.

I tried on second problem but it is not solved yet & i think others will help you in that.

Thanks.