9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 6:43 AM by Sugam Khetrapal

Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue

Sri Ramaswamy

HI,

I downloaded the free public version 8.0 from tableau software website. I was able to connect to my access database and extract 100K records and create a dashboard. When I try to publish / save this to web it asks for the tableau public username / password. When i enter this it says invalid. but when I login into http://public.tableausoftware.com using the same login credentials, it works just fine.

I created a support ticket for this and they advised me to change some settings on IE and closed the ticket saying that since I was using Chrome I was seeing these issues.

I am still having the same issues, someone please advise.

• 1. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
          Dustin Smith

Hi Sri,

I've got ahead and moved your question into the forums since the Community Canvas area is for questions/suggestions/conduct issues related to the forums themselves.

Regarding the issue you seem to be having with publishing to Tableau Public, in order to replicate your scenario I just installed the exact release of Tableau Public Desktop that you are using, connected to an Access database and then extracted the data and published successfully to my Tableau Public account.

It sounds like this might be some sort of credentialing error.  It order to test this would you be willing to reset your password and see if that addresses the issue?  If not, please let us know and we'll keep investigating.

Thanks,

Dustin

• 2. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
            Sri Ramaswamy

HI Dustin,

thank you for looking into this. I tried resetting my password and that didnt work either. I am thinking the desktop version is not even syncing my email. because when I click "Forgot password" and enter my email address, it says the email address / username doesnt exist.

thanks,

Sri

• 3. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
              Dustin Smith

Hi Sri,

Have you tried resetting your password from the web portal via a browser (not from within the login dialog that appears using Tableau Public Desktop)?

Another testing option is to create an entirely new Tableau Public account with a different email address.  I know this is a long shot, but I'm trying to rule out if something specific to your current account is causing the issue.

Thanks,

Dustin

• 4. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
                Sri Ramaswamy

Hi Dustin,

Yes I changed my password using the web portal via browser (not sure if it matters that i used Chrome and not IE).

I also created another account using the web portal and tried publishing and it still says "Invalid Username / Password". It seems like its not even connecting to your server to authenticate the credentials.

thanks

Sri

• 5. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
                  Dustin Smith

Hi Sri,

Hmmmm, well I'm stumped.  I think you must be correct that for some reason the Tableau Public Desktop application isn't connecting with the Public cluster to authenticate.

Last idea; try downloading a trial of Tableau Desktop Professional and publishing up to Tableau Public that way (take a manual extract, save as a packaged workbook, then go to the Server menu, Tableau Public, Save to web as).  If that doesn't work then something is indeed blocking your ability to authenticate your Desktop application with the Public Servers.  Only other thing I can think of to try in that scenario is to somehow try authenticating on a different network (from home or coffee shop) and see if somehow the network you are currently using is block the login attempt.

Wish I could be more help.

Best,

Dustin

• 6. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
                    Sri Ramaswamy

Hi Dustin,

Finally it worked. i changed my chrome account to my office account email and then lowered the security settings. it wouldnt work on IE10 for some reason even after lowering the settings.

thanks for all the help

Sri

• 7. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
                      Dustin Smith

Outstanding!  If you want to share the link to the viz you were able to publish I can check it on my end using IE10 to confirm.

• 8. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
                        Sugam Khetrapal

Hi Sri and Dustin,

I am facing a similar problem.

I am able to publish the dashboards using the 'Administrator' username that i had created on the Tableau Server while setting up the Server.

But when i try to publish the dashboards using a new user that i added, i am getting the error message 'Invalid username or password'. The new user has the privilege to publish the dashboard.

Can you please suggest where I should look in order to resolve the issue and publish the dashboard using the new user credentials. I am working on Chrome.

Thanks in advance.

Sugam Khetrapal

• 9. Re: Tableau Public 8.0 publishing issue
                          Sugam Khetrapal

I am able to log into the Tableau Server using the new user. Hence this user should be able to publish the dashboards from desktop. But unfortunately, it is not doing it.