5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 6:02 PM by david tanner

URL Refresh Parameter Doesn't Work! Ideas?

We recently upgraded our server setup from version 7 to version 8.

We are using Microsoft Analysis Services to pull a .png of a couple Tableau dashboards into the report which gets emailed out after the data has been updated each night.

This worked perfectly before the upgrade to version 8 server. Now its completely unpredictable as to when/what data it will pull from Tableau.

Our DBA and I have been beating our heads against the wall trying to narrow down what's going on. We've already submitted a support ticket but I thought I'd reach out to the community and see if anyone was having similar issues and if there was a workaround.

• 1. Re: URL Refresh Parameter Doesn't Work! Ideas?

Follow up: Definitely a bug in Server 8. Below is what support sent to me.

Hello Derek,

Thank you for your patience while we look further into this issue.  Thank you for the detailed description, I was able to reproduce the behavior locally based on your directions.  I have submitted this issue and all of the details you have provided directly to our development team for review.

I have included instructions below for changing the caching options in Tableau Server to cause the information to be refreshed correctly.  This setting will configure Tableau Server so that it queries the database with every generation of a view.

The steps to change the caching options are as follows:

1. Stop Tableau Server

--a. Stop Tableau Server by navigating to the following: Start Menu > All Programs > Tableau Server 8.0 > Stop Tableau Server.

1. Open Configure Tableau Server from: Start Menu > All Programs > Tableau Server 8.0 > Configure Tableau Server.
          2. Select the Data Connections tab.
          3. Select "Refresh more often".

--There are three options, Refresh Less Often will refresh the cache only when an explicit query to the database is made.  Refresh More Often will re-query for data with each access of the View.  Balanced can be configured to refresh based upon a certain interval specified.

1. Click Ok.
          2. Start Tableau Server by navigating to the following: Start Menu > All Programs > Tableau Server 8.0 > Stop Tableau Server.

For detailed instructions on changing the caching options in Tableau Server please see: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/config_cache.htm

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: URL Refresh Parameter Doesn't Work! Ideas?
            Dan Rohtbart

Hi Derek,

Is your dashboard connected to an Extract or a live database connection? I'm seeing similar results, but with an Extract, so I'm not sure the Data Connection caching is in play.

Thanks,
            Dan

• 3. Re: URL Refresh Parameter Doesn't Work! Ideas?

Hey Dan,

It's a live database connection.

In the latest maintenance release the Server team had issued a fix so it should be working now. Though we haven't moved back to v8 Server yet. I can't really address the extract issue. But the support team is really pretty good at getting an answer. Best of luck.

• 4. Re: URL Refresh Parameter Doesn't Work! Ideas?
                Edgar Leung

Hi guys,

I encountered the same issue that when using tabcmd export, the saved csv do not contain the most updated data.
                We are using version 2018.1.3 now. And the datasources are extract instead of live connection.
                We tried to add ?refresh=true at the end and it is still not working.

This issue happens occasionally. May I ask if this problem was solved but appear again with version 2018.1.3? Please let me know you have any idea. Thanks!

• 5. Re: URL Refresh Parameter Doesn't Work! Ideas?
                  david tanner

Hi Edgar,

Your parameter may need a colon just before the refresh, I use the following for a live connection

?:refresh

I don't use tabcmd,  so just having a guess.

cheers

dave