4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 11:29 AM by Buddy DILELLA

Group Bar Chart

Buddy DILELLA

Could someone be kind enough to give me an example in the workbook I've provide on how to do a group bar chart?  I also provided a slide (a picture is worth a 1000 words) on how I would like the tableau bar graph to look.

Many thanks...

-Buddy

• 1. Re: Group Bar Chart
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Buddy,

It looks to me like the data needs to be set up differently to get this view. There should be one common date between the two and a status field needs to be somewhere in the data so that the two bars can be put side by side.

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Group Bar Chart
            Buddy DILELLA

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I currently work on ticketing systems and I get asked for this metric all the time and I usually have to split the graph out into two separate worksheets.  The user wants a bar char with how many tickets were created on a particular date and how many were resolved on a specific date.  They would like a bar chart similar to the the in the PPT I posted earlier. 

Attached is a spreadsheet of a small sampling of how the records are pulled from the ticketing system.  In realty the status has nothing to do with the count.  Like I said, they just want to know how many tickets were created and closed on a specific day and have it look the bar chart in the slide. 

Again, I really appreciate your thoughts on this on how I can complete the task.   I know you are one of the best at Tableau.. I do "stalk" your posts.

-Buddy

• 3. Re: Group Bar Chart
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Buddy,

I've reattached the workbook. I've added a Status calculated field--I've changed what this status is since all of the Start Dates had closed dates and so they all would show a closed status. Also, I changed the Closed and Start Date calculations to be date not datetime.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Group Bar Chart
                Buddy DILELLA

It's me again.   Maybe I didn't make myself clear..........

What I need to do is give a count how many tickets were "created" on a particular date and how many tickets were closed on a particular date.

I see what you did, but I would I am looking for is a count on "Day of Create Date" and a count on "Day of Resolved Date".  Let me try this, I am only interested in when the ticket was created and when it was resolved.

Then group graph the counts like the PPT..

Hopefully, I made myself clear this time,  :-)

-B