1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 4:53 AM by Russell Christopher

How to use Analysis Services cube(online or offline) in Tableau Reader workbook packages?

Felix Chou

Hi,

How do you created a workbook packages based on Analysis Services data connection? I tried both online and offline cube file and both method result "Unknown data source class 'msolap' error whe I try to open the workbook packages in the Tableau Reader.

Can someone please shed some light on this one? Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to use Analysis Services cube(online or offline) in Tableau Reader workbook packages?
          Russell Christopher

Hi Felix -

Reader doesn't support connecting to live data sources, so it's no surprise you get an error when your packaged workbook attempts to connect directly to SSAS from inside reader.

I just tested what you tried and see the same thing. SO, it's not just you.

Next, prepare for some guessing (I'd open up a case with support for confirmation, if I were you):

<Russell is guessing>

• Offline cubes are a bit of a edge case scenario as they aren't in wide use compared to live connections to SSAS
          • Most folks use Reader in conjunction with Tableau Data Extracts or more "every day" files like Excel, CSV, etc.
          • As a result, I wonder if we didn't include the OLAP plumbing in Reader to handle offline .cub files?

</Russell is guessing>

Good luck - please let us know what you find out?