7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 1:53 AM by Stefan de Kraker

Sentiment analysis using Tableau

Philip George

Hi,

Can anyone suggest which is the best option to do sentiment analysis using Tableau.I prefer integrating tableau with some other add on tools which can do sentiment analysis and tableau should visualize the data.

I could find out a tool Attivio which can integrate with tableau and Attivio can do sentiment analysis.I need some insights on how Tableau will integrate with Attivio and what will be the licensing cost for adding attivio.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Philip George

• 1. Re: Sentiment analysis using Tableau
          Ted Wasserman

Hi Philip,

I can provide you with more information about our integration with Attivio. Can you please send me a note directly?

Cheers,

Ted

• 2. Re: Sentiment analysis using Tableau
            praveen.ettam

Ted could you tell us how to use Sentimental Analysis

• 3. Re: Sentiment analysis using Tableau
              riktammdaniels

Attivio's Active Intelligence Engine (AIE) provides an ODBC driver which enables Tableau users to connect to the AIE platform to query structured and unstructured sources of information via SQL as if they were querying a database.

AIE's sentiment analysis module is one of a suite of text analytics in the AIE platform that enable AIE to structure the unstructured - resulting in new measures and dimensions that can be visualized in Tableau.  The sentiment module is machine-learning based, meaning that it accepts training data to create a sentiment model that is then used to score new pieces of text from social media, email, CRM case notes, etc... and results in the addition of metadata fields to the original records.  So for example, if you load emails into AIE, the sentiment module would add a sentiment field (pos or neg) with a confidence score for the sentiment designation in addition to the other email metadata (subject, to, from, etc...) which are then presented to Tableau users as if they were columns in an "email" table in a database. The key benefit of our sentiment being trainable is that is can be domain and company specific which is really important in industries such as life sciences, healthcare and financial services where sentiment is expressed differently than let's say when someone is commenting on Twitter about "The Voice".

Finally, AIE's sentiment can be paired with AIE's entity extraction (identification of people, places, companies, products, etc...) to produce additional metadata fields that contain entities that are mentioned in a positive light and those mentioned in a negative light.  For example, doing record/document-level sentiment on: "I really love product X, but their support department is terrible" is not going to be very helpful, but entity-level sentiment can identify that product X is viewed positively while the support department is viewed negatively.  Since there could be multiple values for positive and negative entities for each source record/document, AIE presents these new values to Tableau as associative tables.  For example, in the email case, Tableau would see an "email" table and a "positiveEntities" table which can be joined using the email record ID.

Full Disclosure: I work for Attivio

• 4. Re: Sentiment analysis using Tableau
                praveen.ettam

Thank you for the inofrmation, could please an example how to start.  And also do we need to buy Attivio saperatly.  Could you post some example.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Sentiment analysis using Tableau
                  riktammdaniels

Attivio AIE is a separate product that needs to be purchased separately.  If you would like, you can send your contact information to me at rik at attivio dot com and I will put you in touch with the right folks to discuss your specific requirements and help you get started.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Sentiment analysis using Tableau
                    riktammdaniels

Hi Praveen, I've attached some screenshots from election night sentiment demos we did at last year's Tableau Customer Conference.  I hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 12.59.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 12.58.36 PM.png

• 7. Re: Sentiment analysis using Tableau
                      Stefan de Kraker

Hi Philip,

We created a tableau dashboard for sentiment analyses, on top of our sentiment analyses platform. Can be setup in 15 minutes..

I work for O2mc, (real time) Social Sentiment Platform.

2013-04-19_1052.png

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Stefan de Kraker