3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 7:17 AM by Allan Walker

Some rows of my data have country and some rows have grouped countries (like Gulf). How do I use filled maps to show all countries?

Nitin R

In my country column,I have two rows of Countries like USA and Canada having revenue and two rows like West Africa and Gulf having revenue for the respective REGIONS. How do I use filled maps and show the revenue without changing my data? (I cannot change the data). I want to show all gulf countries having the same revenue without showing their individual names.

• 1. Re: Some rows of my data have country and some rows have grouped countries (like Gulf). How do I use filled maps to show all countries?
          Allan Walker

Hi Nitin,

Firstly, thanks for attaching your example spreadsheet.

Q's.

1. Do you want to show e.g. "Baltic Countries" as one group (I am assuming Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) or as individual countries?  Do you want them to have separate labels of revenue, or one label per group?
          2. Is your data protected in some way, as you say you can't change the data? If this is the case, you could create another spreadsheet with the countries inside your group and then join the tables?

I think the main thing here is to knock off all the assumptions, i.e. do you know exactly what countries are included  in each region?  (take West Africa for example: Benin, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo).  This might not fit your organization's definition.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 2. Re: Some rows of my data have country and some rows have grouped countries (like Gulf). How do I use filled maps to show all countries?
            Nitin R

Hi Allan

Thanks for your reply.

To clarify the first point, yes I want to show the Baltic Countries as one single group (not each country in the group). So the idea is that if i hover over any of these countries-Latvia,Estonia or Lithuania I shouldn't get the name of the country but I should get "Baltic Countries" and show the revenue. There is no split up for revenue for these countries.

Secondly, yes the data is protected and thus I cannot split the group into the individual countries and get their revenue separately. I cannot change the data in any way.

Thirdly,yes I will have to assume the countries in each group as you said but that is not a problem. The point is to cover the whole filled map. So if I add all the above mentioned countries in West Africa, I will have a tag called West Africa and it should show the OVERALL revenue for West Africa (not split by country).

Hope this clarifies the problem at hand.

Kindly let me know if you have any solution. I have been breaking my head over this for nearly 4 days now.

• 3. Re: Some rows of my data have country and some rows have grouped countries (like Gulf). How do I use filled maps to show all countries?
              Allan Walker

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for the clarification.

Here's how I would tackle it, but there maybe many other solutions, so I don't know if it would be any more elegant.  I'm no "Tableau Zen Master"!

OK take your first dataset, I'm going to assume it is in Excel format, as per the example. Create a second spreadsheet with the individual countries, and then group them up.  The grouped names are then "blended". Then you'll have to blend the data.  This may be easier in SQL, you could import the spreadsheet and give it an ID.  Then you could join to the other table.

The other method would be to create shapefiles of the grouped countries.  I'd advise using Richard Leeke's "shapetotab" tool to import the shapefiles. 

Hope that helps,

Allan

1 of 1 people found this helpful