4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 3:36 AM by Loshini Fernando

Blend Excel data with Cube data

Loshini Fernando

Hi,

I have an excel file which has data related to Organisation's board members.( Org ID, Org Name, Sector, Gender, ATSI). This should be my primary data source as I want to analyse Gender, ATSI for the organisations that are in the Excel file with two other data cubes.

But when I try to blend the data and I choose Excel file as my Primary data source, Tableau doesn't allow me to select any of the fields in the Cubes ( Either of them ) designated to be the secondary sources.

My questions are:

1). Should it always be a cube that is designated to be the "Primary data source"?

2). What are my alternatives in getting this analysis done?

Thank you

Loshini

• 1. Re: Blend Excel data with Cube data
          Mulukutla Sarath Chandra

Hi Loshini,

Q1) Should it always be a cube that is designated to be the "Primary data source"?

It is mandatory to use CUBE as the primary data-source.This data-source cannot act as a primary data-source.

Q2) What are my alternatives in getting this analysis done?

"One of the common fields (ATSI or Gender) between two data-sources  should be dragged on to the sheet. From whichever data-source you drag the common field it acts as the primary data-source and you can observe an "orange pin" adjacent to the common fields in the secondary data-source.Now you can go ahead and work with all the fields of both the data-sources".

Note: It is mandatory to have common columns between two data-sources to blend the data.

Hope it helps!!!

Thanks,

Sarath

• 2. Re: Blend Excel data with Cube data
            Russell Christopher

Hi Loshini -

You are correct - per http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/pro/online/en-us/multipleconnections_troubleshooting.html cubes may not be used as secondary data sources for blending. They must be primary. (Therefore you can't blend two cubes, either, as one would by definition become secondary).

In many cases, you can still use a dimension from a secondary data source - so in your case, the dimensions you mentioned in your Excel file. Of course it all depends on how you're trying to relate the two data sources.

To give you an example, in the screenshot below I'm using a cube as my primary data source and an Excel workbook (with population numbers per country) as a secondary data source.

The "Country" dimension which is displayed comes from the cube, and it relates to the "Country" dimension in the Excel workbook. I'm showing the Population measure from Excel and I'm also using the "Source of Estimate" dimension from Excel as a label on the chart itself.

ScreenHunter_11 Mar. 15 05.02.jpg

• 3. Re: Blend Excel data with Cube data
              Loshini Fernando

Hi Sarath,

Thank you very much for your reply. This is what I have done exactly.

But the moment I click on the cube ( secondary data source), it's fields become inactive ( Greyed out) and I am unable to drag any field to the view.

• 4. Re: Blend Excel data with Cube data
                Loshini Fernando

Hi Russell,

Thank you very much for your reply.

In my case, the Excel file has a subset of organisations that are in the cube. And apart from that the Excel file has an addtional field called "Sector" which denotes the sector that the organsations belong to.

The Excel file has data which show the ATSI and Gender details of an organisations Board members.

One of the cube's got data of an organisation's workforce. for eg: Gender, ATSI, Age, Education level..and many more.

What I would like to do is to analyse the composition ( Gender/ ATSI) of an organisation's board members along with it's workforce. And I would like to kind of construct a dashboard which has a filter on the "Sector".

So for eg: if I select "Health" sector and I would be able see how an oragnisation's board gender data vary from it's workforce data. Thus make observations such as whether there's a relation between the two.

For eg: If the board consists of majority of females then does also requit more female staff?

I am new to Tableau and I thought I'd have to start with the Excel file as my primary data source as it's the only source which has the "sector" field, which I want to base my analysis on.

Note: Both data sources have the common fields, Org ID, Gender, ATSI apart from their differences.

I will try the other way around and see whether it serves my purpose.

Thank you

Loshini

Loshini