1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 5:23 AM by Andy Piper

My tableau file keeps crashing every time I try to drill down to look at something in more detail.  It only happens on one of my tableau workbooks.

Andrew Dawson

We compile different Tableau workbooks for our clients that consist of a number of data sets. namely website data.  One the workbooks we produce will crash every time i try to drill down to get more detail on browser profiles.  This only happens with one of our clients workbook, on different machines and on Tableau 8!

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

thanks.

• 1. Re: My tableau file keeps crashing every time I try to drill down to look at something in more detail.  It only happens on one of my tableau workbooks.
          Andy Piper

Sounds like a process of elimination is in order on two fronts - workbook & data - to attempt to isolate the problem. Some thoughts:

• You indicated it occurs only within one workbook. If you use the same data within a new workbook using similar drill down functions, does the problem still occur?
          • Could there be an issue with the data being drilled into? Perhaps remove all fields being drilled into, then add back one at a time to see if a particular field may have some data corruption or formatting issues.
          • Does a different drill down approach to the same data work?
          • Did you recreate in v8 or just convert the existing v7 workbook to v8? Try recreating from scratch in v8 if you have not done so; if you converted, the problem could have stayed with the workbook.
          • Does the same thing happen using the same workbook structure on a different data set?

Good luck with figuring this problem out. I hope the above suggestions help you in that effort.

Regards,

Andy