1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2018 2:56 AM by Manas Mohapatra

Update all filters at once in dashboard

sana.masroor

I have report that has around 5 quick filters (these are calculated fields off
      a parameter and are applied on two different sources)  along with couple
      of other parameters effecting the dashboard. 

The problem is when each time a user changes a quick filter it takes a while
      to regenerate the view. I want users to make multiple filter changes, and then
      hit an "update" button that applies to all filter changes at once.

After reading some applicable solutions from Tableau Community, I turned off
      Automatic Updates using the “Pause Auto Updates” button on the toolbar. I made
      the changes while everything turned grey and then clicked “Run Update” button
      to execute them all at once.

This worked well in the desktop version but once I published the dashboard to
      server, it didn’t work. As soon as I changed any filter in the dashboard on
      server, the view updated.

Am I missing something here? Is there any way to apply the pause and run
      functionality on dashboards published on server or update all the filters at once?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks n regards,

• 1. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
          Mulukutla Sarath Chandra

Hi Sana,

There is an option to choose "Pause Automatic Updates" on the server too.I have done it at my end and it works!!!

Attached is the screen shot of the option.

Thanks,

Sarath

4 of 5 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
            sana.masroor

Thanks, Sarath. This would work well the way i explained my problem earlier. But this led to another problem, users are looking more for something like an update/Go option where they can click after making all the filter selections. It is difficult to explain to them pause and resume functionality. They are looking for a single click update functionality.

Any suggestions on this?

• 3. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
              Son Stegmaier

Another option is to build two dashboards.  The first one would only have your filter options.  We can call this dashboard "landing page".  Then you can use url action on the dashboard to pass the filters as parameters to your second dashboard.  The second dashboard will be the one you already deployed.  This way, the user can go back to the first dashboard and change the filters they desire and click on the url action.

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/view-filters-url

• 4. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                David Kirk

Hi all,

I know this was posted quite a long time ago but I came across it when searching for how to have a run button in Tableau.  I needed it as I wanted the dashboard to only show the data when all filters had been selected.

Anyway I have come up with a work around which although not a run button it does allow you to decide when the filters are applied.

So here we go:

Create a parameter as a Boolean - I called it ready

Set the current value to False

Set the True and False alias to something descriptive (I chose "Show me the data" and "Wait I am not ready yet")

Then create a calculated field - I called it readycalc

IF [Ready?] = True THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

Then add the new field (readycalc) to the filters shelf.  Set it to greater than 1 (or set it to discrete and = 1)

Now add the parameter control to your dashboard

Seeing as the current value is set to False then the dashboard will remain blank.  Now chose the filters you want then change the parameter to True - it magically appears again!!!

It is not perfect - it would be nice to have the visualisation appear so that the user can see what is coming (if anyone has any ideas for this that would be appreciated).

Hopefully that is of use.

Thanks

Dave

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                  Praveena Prabhu

Hi,

Just responding to this old post as I have a workaround.

One another way for applying all the filters at once would be by using action filter.

Steps:

1. Create a calculated field which basically is a string "Apply"
                  2. Create a sheet and place Apply on the row shelf, make this string look like a button that a user can click on
                  3. Place all fields that are used as filter on this sheet, make sure these are the filters shown on the dashboard and not from any of the other sheets.
                  4. Now place this sheet on the dashboard and show all of the filters.
                  5. Create an action filter from the apply sheet to all the sheets on the dashboard.

So now when the filters are selected the apply sheet is affected and then when the apply sheet is clicked the action filter affects the rest of the sheets on the dashboard.

Attached is a sample workbook with this functionality.

Hope this helps.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                    swaroop.gantela

Very nicely done.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                      naveen mamidala

Hi Sarat chnadra,

Is it possible to operate automatically the 'Run Auto Updat button'  runquery.png  , instead of manually hitting.

• 8. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                        Prabhu Kumar Sudagani

Hi Praveena,

Thanks for your work around on update all filters in one click.

I tried doing all the steps as mentioned by you. But I am not able to achieve. can you please provide little more details how to achieve that.

Thanks In Advance.

Regards,

prabhu

• 9. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                          paul chris

Thanks Praveen,

it's really useful to me, but one issue here is,  its working good in tableau desktop but when I published the desktop into tableau server, for each filter entire dashboard is loading(But data is not updating). I am too confused. Could u please let me know if u have any solution regarding how we can do in tableau server.

Regards,

Paul

• 10. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                            Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi,

This is a post by one of the community member . please look at this workbook and check whether it will solve your problem or not.

A workaround for applying all the filters at once would be by using action filter.

Steps:

1. Create a calculated field which basically is a string "Apply"
                            2. Create a sheet and place Apply on the row shelf, make this string look like a button that a user can click on
                            3. Place all fields that are used as filter on this sheet, make sure these are the filters shown on the dashboard and not from any of the other sheets.
                            4. Now place this sheet on the dashboard and show all of the filters.
                            5. Create an action filter from the apply sheet to all the sheets on the dashboard.

So now when the filters are selected the apply sheet is affected and then when the apply sheet is clicked the action filter affects the rest of the sheets on the dashboard.

Attached is a sample workbook with this functionality.

Hope this helps

You can use this thread for more ideas: http://community.tableau.com/thread/124357

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                              srinivas pamerla

Hi Prabhu

R u from smvm polytechnic Tanuku?

• 12. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                                Prakash Motwani

All these examples are great but they don't work when we publish them on web.

Few use cases i would like to run:

1. Apply All button on a dashboard with many filters

2. Put multiple dashboards in one Story

That ways user see only 1 story with multiple dashboards to navigate. In this scenario, I don't see auto update option for Story also.

Appreciate if anyone can help to get this accomplished.

• 13. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                                  Eshwar Prasad

Hi Team,

I come across the same requirement.

I tried in the same way, but i filter action is not working.

i am not able to open the attached workbook. i am using 9.3 version.

Can any one me on this?

• 14. Re: Update all filters at once in dashboard
                                    Mike Davies

My way (just learning Tableau...)

Create a Parameter (Filters) and allow options in a list.

Put in two list options: "Click to apply filters" and "Apply Filters"

Create a calculate field (called "Filters Applied"), with [Filter] = "Apply Filters"

Then use [Filters Applied] = True as a filter.

If you show the Parameter Control on the worksheet, then if you start with "Click to apply filter", nothing is shown, so you choose your filters, and then change the dropdown to Apply Filters and the data appears.

1 2 Previous Next