2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 9:02 AM by Toby Erkson

Trouble creating extract after I turned off "Use Extract"

Dan Rohtbart

Has anyone else come across this problem?

My TWBX has a 600MB extract with 13M rows. Rather, it had. I turned off the Use Extract option from the Data menu. Then I removed some fields manually, and saved the TWBX. My filesize shrank to 200KB.

Now I want to have an Extract. When I tried Extract Data... I got a 30KB file. Tableau looks like it's running the Extract process, but at the end, I don't have a large file.

When I try Use Extract, I get an error message Extract Not Found, with options to locate, remove, regenerate the Extract. Locate isn't relevant, since I've got a smaller set of fields now. When I choose Regenerate, Tableau looks like it's running the Extract process, but at the end, I don't have a large file.

Then I tried Remove Extract first, which asked whether I want to remove or remove&delete. Removed. Then tried Extract Data... and it didn't even ask me for a file location before trying to extract. We're 3M rows in, and the temp file is still 30KB.

Unfortunately, each of these Extracts takes over 4 hours, so I've run out of time for trial and error. Help greatly appreciated!