4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 4:21 PM by Rebecca Szper

Error connecting to MySQL: "Incorrect data type"

Sten Lomme

I juse installed Tableau Desktop on a Win 2008 server to test for a new setup. I will be connecting to the MySQL server located on the same machine. The MySQL version is 5.6.10. But when I try to connect to the MySQL database I get the Tableau error "Incorrect data type." Please see screenshot enclosed.

I've double checked that MySQL is running and that I have admin access. I also checked the characterset on the MySQL server. It is running utf8.

Why am I getting this error and how can I connect?

Both MySQL Workbench and SQLyog can connect to the database without any problems.

• 1. Re: Error connecting to MySQL: "Incorrect data type"
          Mulukutla Sarath Chandra

Hi Sten,

How are you trying to connect to the DB from Tableau?  Have you created a DSN? If yes, please try to connect directly from tableau by downloading drivers from Tableau link below without creating a DSN.

http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/drivers

Thanks,

Sarath

• 2. Re: Error connecting to MySQL: "Incorrect data type"
            Joseph Ip

I have the same issue when trying to connect Tableau Desktop Professional to a MySQL server running on the same machine.  I can connect to the database using a DSN, but I get the following warnings:

Tableau identified the following warnings for the ODBC data source named 'mastertable1':

Tableau was unable to determine support for the following: SELECT ... INTO

This aggregation is unsupported: Attribute

This aggregation is unsupported: Day

This aggregation is unsupported: Hour

This aggregation is unsupported: Median

This aggregation is unsupported: Minute

This aggregation is unsupported: Month

This aggregation is unsupported: Quarter

This aggregation is unsupported: Second

This aggregation is unsupported: Week Number

This aggregation is unsupported: Year

This function is unsupported: DATETIME with parameter types 'integer'

This function is unsupported: POWER with parameter types 'float, integer'

This is unsupported: Temporary tables

So I would like to connect Tableau directly to MySQL without using the DSN and see if that would get rid of the warnings. I have the driver installed that was linked on the Tableau Drivers page, which I believe is the 3.51 driver, and I also have 5.2w installed, both of which function the same if I use them through ODBC via DSN or directly through the driver, they both return the warnings above. I am running Tableau 7.0.13 on Windows XP SP3 and MySQL Server 5.6.

• 3. Re: Error connecting to MySQL: "Incorrect data type"
              Sten Lomme

There is an issue with Tableau 7 and the newly released MySQL 5.6.10. Tableau is considering a fix for this issue for future maintenance releases. The only solution at this time was to downgrade to MySQL 5.5.30

• 4. Re: Error connecting to MySQL: "Incorrect data type"
                Rebecca Szper

MySQL 5.6.10 is supported in Tableau Desktop 8.0 and later. Tableau Desktop 7.0 is not compatible with MySQL 5.6.10.

1 of 1 people found this helpful