5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2013 8:10 AM by dora iyer

tableau histogram based on bin values

dora iyer
      calendarDateadNetworkdescriptiontypescreenNameminLatencymaxLatencylatencyBinCount
      2/5/2013 0:00whereunknown0 11.5103
      2/5/2013 0:00whereunknown0 1.5239
      2/5/2013 0:00whereunknown0 22.515
      2/5/2013 0:00whereunknown1 11.514
      2/5/2013 0:00whereunknown1 1.5216
      2/5/2013 0:00whereunknown1 22.55

Above please find the sample data. I have the Min and Max Bin (Column minLatency and MaxLatency). Based on this bin Values I want to create a histogram using dimensions calendarDate,adNetwork,description, type,screenName   and measure (latencyBinCount).

Any Help will be highly appreciated !!!!

• 1. Re: tableau histogram based on bin values
          Joshua Milligan

Dora,

I imported the data into a Tableau workbook, but I'm not sure where you are trying to go with it.  I noticed that calendarDate, adNetwork, and description are always the same -- so I don't know what to do with those.  I'm not entirely certain which fields are the Min or Max Bin that you described.

Would you be able to post a packaged workbook with a start on what you are describing?  I think that would help get some discussion going.

Regards,

Joshua

• 2. Re: tableau histogram based on bin values
            dora iyer

What I gave was just partial data. attached please find the workbook.

• 3. Re: tableau histogram based on bin values
              dora iyer

I sent you the packaged workbook, but it  has data base connection, so I am not sure how you can open the workbook.

• 4. Re: tableau histogram based on bin values
                Joshua Milligan

Dora,

Thank you.  You are are correct -- your packaged workbook does contain a connection to a server that I am not able to access.  So one of the really nice things that Tableau lets you do is to create a data extract which is portable and allows you or others to have a snapshot of the data offline.  (One major caveat to using the extract is if security is an issue, then you wouldn't want to pass it around because it does contain the data!)

So to create an extract, go to "Data" on the menu, find your connection at the bottom and then select "Extract Data".  You'll get a dialog like the image below.  When you click "Extract" it will pull the data out of the database into an extract file (as a standalone file it is a .tde -- Tableau Data Extract; but when you are using a packaged workbook, the extract will be part of the .twbx file).  If you have a lot of data (for a this example I'd say anything over 10,000 rows is probably too much), you can include only subset of the data in the extract by using the highlighted option below.

Once you've extracted the data, please save your workbook and re-post it.  Then anyone wanting to help on this solution will be able to see exactly what you are seeing.

Regards,

Joshua

extract.png

• 5. Re: tableau histogram based on bin values
                  dora iyer

Thank you so much. I did as you told me and attached please find the workbook.