This option is disabled for me. I get this string next to it 'Checking Solr status...'
I'm pretty I've had this issue before. Are there any Tableau errors in the Windows Application Event log?
Are you using all the default port settings for the Tableau server install - specifically Tomcat and Solr ports being the same (default is 8080).
I'd try restarting the server, just to see as well. What server version are you using?
I have checked and there are no tableau errors in the event logs and the port is 8000. All services are running as expected. All schedules and tasks are working. It only search functionality that is not working on this server. I tried restarting tableau server and the physical server yet the same problem.
We are running Tableau Server 7
I am getting the same error in tableau 8.1.3.
Could you please reply if there was any resolution for this.
I'm a little late to the party, but also make sure that the Tableau install directory is excluded from any sort of antivirus scanning software. We had this same issue (checking solr status...) and it turns out our IT department had accidentally enabled the directory for scanning.