2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 2:59 PM by Drew Friestedt

Data relationship (multiple data sets) calclated field

Drew Friestedt

I've mapped two data sets.  I've created a relationship under Data > Relationship between the common fields.

The three fields in particular I've linked together are Bedrooms,Year. and Zip Code.

When I try to calculate the Median Rent (from data set 1) divided by the median cost (from data set 2) for a  filtered by the common dimensions (and linked) Zip Code, Bedrooms and Year It's not calculating accurately.   I'm

What do I need to do differently?

• 1. Re: Data relationship (multiple data sets) calclated field
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Drew,

It's difficult to say why you're getting the wrong information without seeing the workbook. Would you be able to post it or a sample as a twbx file?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Data relationship (multiple data sets) calclated field
            Drew Friestedt

Tableau was very responsive.  They were able to help me.  Here was their response from the case I created:

"It appears that you have dimensions placed on the Filters shelf, but not in the view itself. The Filters shelf only filters the primary data source. Therefore, if the filters should apply to the secondary as well, the linking fields will need to be added to the view. In Tableau 7, linking fields must be present in the view, otherwise they will not be taken into account when pulling data from the secondary data source. Currently, the workbook is pulling all data from the secondary source associated with each zip code, regardless of the number of bedrooms or rented year.

To resolve the issue, follow these steps:

1. Click on the primary data source in the Data pane

2. Drag [# Bedrooms] from the Dimensions pane to the Level of Detail shelf

3. Drag [Listed Date] from the Dimensions pane to the Level of Detail shelf"

It is worth noting that Tableau 8 will no longer require linking fields to be added to the view. Tableau 8 is currently scheduled to be released later this month, but the release date is always subject to change."