8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 1:33 PM by Mitchell Albury

Add additional aliases

Mitchell Albury

I'm relatively new to Tableau and this is my first time posting a question here. I'd appreciate any help you could give.

I have responses to survey questions. The data are integers 0 through 4 which correspond to "not applicable", very satisfied", etc. For one particular question no one choose the response "not applicable." But for consistency when displaying the other questions I'd like to have the "not applicable" display with the other responses with a zero count. Is this possible with Tableau? I've tried to find answers to add a new alias and things like that, but have been unsuccessful.

Just to be clear I'm not referring to null values, there are some of those and I've filtered them out. I just want to find out if it's possible to display something with a zero count, even though it's not a survey response for that question in the data.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

• 1. Re: Add additional aliases
          Joshua Milligan

Mitchell,

I think If you add your Question to the page shelf and answer on the Rows (or columns) you should be able to keep all the rows visible.  Try playing around with that and if you are still stuck please post a packaged workbook so I can see exactly what you have to work with and I'd be happy to take a look!

Joshua

• 2. Re: Add additional aliases
            Mitchell Albury

Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the reply!

I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. I'm still not able to add the response I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, the data are confidential so I can't post a workbook, but I'll try my best to explain the data and what output I'm look for:

Say there is a question about satisfaction for a certain product. The survey takers can select: "very satisfied", "generally satisfied", generally dissatisfied", very satisfied", and "not applicable". These are categorical variables in the data with values of 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0, respectively. Say there are 10 responses to the question:

4, 3, 3, 1, 4, 2, 2, 3, 4, 1

I'm putting the survey responses ("very satisfied", etc.), and the count of the responses on the row. The sum of the responses is on the column, shown as a percentage of the table. The same variable is both a measure, and a dimension.

The output would be a horizontal bar chart with

Very Satisfied             3  <horizontal bar>

Generally Satisfied      3  <horizontal bar>

Generally Dissatisfied  2 <horizontal bar>

Very Dissatisfied         2  <horizontal bar>

In this case no one responded with "not applicable" (i.e. 0), but I would like to add it to show on the chart as follows:

Very Satisfied             3  <horizontal bar>

Generally Satisfied      3  <horizontal bar>

Generally Dissatisfied  2 <horizontal bar>

Very Dissatisfied         2  <horizontal bar>

Not Applicable            0

I hope I've been able to explain what I'm looking for a little better, and would appreciate any further help or suggestion you may have.

Thanks again!

-Mitchell

• 3. Re: Add additional aliases
              Joshua Milligan

Mitchell,

Thanks for the details!  See if the attached workbook helps.  I would be happy to answer any questions!

Joshua

• 4. Re: Add additional aliases
                Mitchell Albury

Joshua,

Thanks, this was somewhat helpful.

Unfortunately my data are structured differently and each question is a separate column with the responses for that question only. So as in the example that I gave, the column length is 10 and we would only see values of 1 through 4, and no zeroes. I'll think about possibly restructuring it and that should work out for me. However, do you have any suggestions for leaving the data the way they are and still being able to put "not applicable" on the output?

Regards,

Mitchell

• 5. Re: Add additional aliases
                  Joshua Milligan

Mitchell,

Would it be possible to post a simple excel file with dummy data that is the exact same structure as what you using?  I think that might help.  Thanks!

Joshua

• 6. Re: Add additional aliases
                    Mitchell Albury

Joshua,

Just to explain the file:

Say there are three questions -- one about satisfaction, one about quality, and one about helpfulness of the customer service rep. The customer service rep question has some N/A (i.e. 0) responses because say they ordered online and didn't speak with anyone. The other two questions don't have any zeroes but it was given as a response possibility on the survey. For consistency across all graphs (and I'll be preparing separate graphs for each question) I'd like to have the N/A show up with 0 responses on the other two questions.

Thanks again!

Mitchell

• 7. Re: Add additional aliases
                      Mitchell Albury

Hey Joshua,

Not to be a bother, but I was wondering if you had a chance to look at the file I sent, and if you had any suggestions. I've been working a little to restructure my data and play around a little with it that way. It seems to work fine until I apply a filter, say by occupation. It then goes back to not showing all of the response categories if no one within a particular occupation picked "not applicable."

Thanks again for any help.

Regards,

Mitchell

• 8. Re: Add additional aliases
                        Mitchell Albury

Joshua,

Sorry for another post, but I was able to figure out how to get all of the responses to display without restructuring the data.

I turned on "Show Empty Rows" in Table Layout and all of the responses displayed. I just had then move the count from being a row variable to a label.

Thanks for all of your time and help.

Regards,

Mitchell