5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 10:56 AM by Tracy Rodgers

dual axis synchronization issue

Neil Berkowitz

I am trying to synchronize dual axes but the menu item to do so is not enabled. The fields, Inventory and TotalOut, are each integer.Any thoughts/solutions? I don't know if it makes a difference but there are two data sources in the file (related on the date field, WorkDate) but the viz in question uses only one.

Neil Berkowitz

SeattleChildren's Research Institute

• 1. Re: dual axis synchronization issue
          Shawn Wallwork

Neil, the left axis will be grey out; the right axis will have sync available.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: dual axis synchronization issue
            Neil Berkowitz

Alas, no, which is why I submitted my question. I've worked with dual axes and multiple mark types in the past without running into this.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

Neil

• 3. Re: dual axis synchronization issue
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Neil,

My guess is that even though both measures look like integers, one may actually be a float. To fix this, create a calculated field so that both measures are either integers or floats.

If not, are you able to post the packaged workbook (twbx file)?

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 4. Re: dual axis synchronization issue
                Neil Berkowitz

Tracy,

Both fields are integers, both in Tableau and in the source. But I created calculated fields that used the INT function to force the issue. Same result. In rebuilding the viz, however, I noticed that the axes synch until I change the right axis measure from SUM to AVG. I don't know if the issue is with AVG or with inconsistency in measure types in general. In any case, I am attaching a pared down version of the file. The issue is with the PROBLEM SHEET tab.

I have since resolved my immediate challenge but would still like to find out if what I encountered is a known and expected behavior or not. The resolution in this case was to change the right axis measure to ATTR, which fit this particular data, rather than AVG. Unlike the situation earlier, where the left axis was SUM and the right was AVG, there was no problem synching a SUM axis and an ATTR axis.

Neil

• 5. Re: dual axis synchronization issue
                  Tracy Rodgers

Hi Neil,

The reason that the axes won't synchronize when the aggregation on TotalOut is set to Average is because the average aggregation changes TotalOut to a float as opposed to an integer. An average is not necessarily going to be a whole number, it very likely will be a decimal or fraction. Notice, that if you change the aggregation to Maximum or Minimum, the axes remain synchronized--as these are still integers.

By creating a calculated field like the following is another way to work around it:

int(avg(TotalOut))

Hope this helps!

-Tracy