1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 8:18 AM by Shawn Wallwork Branched to a new discussion.

Fix The Forums List (Deux)

Shawn Wallwork

[I posted this at the end of the last list, and discovered that with the new forum front page, there's no way to click through to it, without going to the top of the discussion, and then paging to the end of the last page (consider this an addition to the list!). To make it easier to get to I'm starting a new discussion.] [See Update below.]

Back on October 31, 2012 I started this "Fix Forums List". Two & half months later, I've just gone through all 55 responses that were posted [and others posted to the "I'm the Man" thread], and developed a progress report -- what has been fixed and what still needs fixing. If your forum experience/opinion is different on any of these items, please let us know.

And yes I know the progress has been disappointing, but Dustin continues to assure me that the broken stuff is being worked on, and that Jive will one day be able to drive the shinny new forums we all hope they will become. Here then is my report:

FIXED!

• Make the forums visible to Google search.
      • Upload files to Ideas.
      • Forum & Beta front pages are GREATLY improved with better ID of contributors
      • The nonsensical  "Trending Content" front pages have been eliminated
      • No "how to craft a good question" guide, which should be required reading before being allowed to post (Recently Added. Thanks Tracy!)

IMPROVED, BUT NOT FIXED.

• Text filters and tag filters don't return full set of results in My Content, or other user's content, but it's better than it used to be

STILL BROKEN, UNAVAILABLE OR CUMBERSOME

• Search box in banner requires multiple logins and re-entry of search term
      • Search still does not return all results
      • Inline images produce broken links
      • Idea links pasted in a message produce broken links
      • Can't add tags to replies (tags only available to original poster)
      • No ability to +1 answers, to promote best/right answer
      • User content participation page sorts based on any user, not the specific users
      • Official Tableau feedback on Ideas non-existent. [Individual employees sometime comment, which we appreciate!]
      • Interface to tag/ping users is cumbersome multi-step process
      • Files download as zips, requiring extra steps to extract [except on Tableau Public, why them not us?]
      • Change to a different page to attach a file is "silly"
      • Viz Talk and Ideas front pages don't have the new front page formatting
      • There isn't a "I got this one" flagging system, so many times two of us simultaneously work on the same problem, return the same answer within seconds of each other -- wasting our of time
      • Prevent anyone from posting a twb workbook, ever [THE biggest time waster!]
      • Image pop-up windows don't resize to browser window size (tough on mobile browsers)
      • Point system needs adjusting, to become relevant again
      • There is no responder rating system
      • There is no response/answer rating system
      • No Forums FAQ
      • A "Platforms" section hasn't been added to the forums (i.e., Teradata, Oracle, Cloudera, SAP)
      • A Twitter section in the Bio hasn't been added
      • A Culture section hasn't been added [per Ben Porter]
      • Sort Ideas doesn't work
      • Sorting search is broken.
      • Multiple tabs and not logged in issue
      • Safari/Mac date problem
      • KB interface difficult to use
      • Can't post threads into KB articles
      • Forums site slow to load
      • <pre> tag not available

NOT SURE

• RSS feeds are unusable [Jonathan]
      • Email notification system needs work [Jonathan]
      • Profile image & notification problem [Jonathan]
      • Clear cookies, re-login, reenter search [Richard]

--Shawn

• 1. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
          Jonathan Drummey

Here's my update:

STILL BROKEN, UNAVAILABLE OR CUMBERSOME.

• Sort Ideas doesn't work [Jonathan]
          • Sorting search is broken. [Jonathan]
          • Multiple tabs and not logged in issue [Jonathan]
          • Safari/Mac date problem [Jonathan]
          • KB interface difficult to use [Jonathan]
          • Can't post threads into KB articles [Jonathan]
          • Forums site slow to load [Jonathan]
          • <pre> tag not available [Jonathan]

NOT SURE

• RSS feeds are unusable [Jonathan]
          • Email notification system needs work [Jonathan]
          • Profile image & notification problem [Jonathan]
          • Clear cookies, re-login, reenter search [Richard]

• 2. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
            Toby Erkson

Huh...good to know about the "Click "56 replies"..." bit.  Jive != intuitive.

• 3. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
              Toby Erkson

Oops, didn't work for me!  At least in IE 8.  It just took me to the original topic.  Also, I prefer the "All Forum Topics" view as it displays more topics on the screen at once.  Though it shows the post and view counts they are just informative and not clickable.  Bummer.

• 4. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                Toby Erkson

Hey Shawn, since you've got time on your hands why not make the "Still Broken..." list have linked line items if they exist in the Ideas forum.  That way people can go directly to the Idea and vote it up.  Much better than trying to search for it.

• 5. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                  Joshua Milligan

Just a thought...

... what about liberating the data that Jive is storing somewhere (more than just the RSS feeds) and letting us use Tableau to visualize and explore it.  If I could create a dashboard that would let me filter to questions with the key word "Window_Sum" with correct answers by certain authors / contributors, in a given time frame.  Or what if I could visualize the trend of topics, or authors, or correct / helpful answers?

And if the data of a forum post is too unstructured?  I saw quite a few vendors and partners at TCC that had solutions for allowing Tableau to connect to unstructured data.

I realize this wouldn't alleviate any of the issues of data entry (+1 answers, uploading twbx as zip files, etc...)  On the other hand, with some URL actions (or even better, the new JavaScript API for 8), maybe Tableau actually could become the interface for the forums.  Maybe it's time for forums (here specifically and in general) to move beyond a simple list of threads with the newest ones on top.  Maybe there are better ways to see and understand what's going on.

...just a thought.

• 6. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                    Mark Jackson

I actually like the new forum, but I agree there is a lot of potential for improvement. I think things are moving in the right direction.

Perspective: http://vimeo.com/50652818

=)

• 7. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                      Andy Cotgreave

Hi all

I'm still here in spirit. But yes, my Tableau job means I don't get to hang out on here as I used to. And boy, does it ever mean my skills get a little blunter every day! You are all making amazing contributions and doing incredible stuff.

On a personal level, I feel your pain. I really do. I don't get to work with Dustin, but we do talk and share emails a lot - I know he's doing the best he can. But if our progress is too slow, then that's no use to you, our Community. What can I contribute to fixing this? Well, I speak to people internally, and believe me, I'll be passing this on, influencing things where I can. I also give virtual hugs to Dustin every now and then. He's going grey, you know?

Please stick with us, though - the fact that you're still making amazing contributions despite the klunky tools we gave you is amazing.

Andy

• 8. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                        Dustin Smith

He's going grey, you know?

My hair is as lavish and radiant as ever I'll have you know.

• 9. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                          Alex Kerin

Is "There's no way to stay logged in" different from your request Jonathan?

• 10. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                            Joshua Milligan

Has the ability to embed an image inline in a reply stopped working for anyone else?  It seemed fine up until a few days ago.  Now it just pops up something that look like this:

(see attached )

• 11. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                              Dustin Smith

Hi Josh,

Are you using Chrome?  Shawn and Richard have reported this as well using Chrome and I'm working on it as we speak.  If you increase/decrease the zoom on your browser sometimes that seems to fix things (not sure why).

Thanks for the screen shot.

-Dustin

• 12. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                                Joshua Milligan

Dustin,

I'm using Chrome and the scroll wheel trick worked.  Odd that it had been working fine until a day or two ago.  Thanks!

Joshua

• 13. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                                  Dustin Smith

Inline images produce broken links

Update on this issue:  I believe we currently have a fix in place that will prevent images from breaking as of 1/22 going forward.  Turns out the Image Cache Clearing Task was way out of control.

Here's where I could really use everyone's help - if you come across a post that clearly has had a image disappear, 1. send me the link as has been the process thus far (thanks to Shawn for the major contributions here), but 2. Check to see if the post is older newer than 1/22.  If it is then that means my fix is not working and I need to know about it ASAP.

Regarding the recovery of images that have already been deleted, we're still investigating the possibility of retrieval but don't have a clear path there yet.

Thanks,
                                  Dustin

Edit:  Sorry for the confusion.  I meant any broken image links that are on posts newer than 1/22/2013

• 14. Re: Fix The Forums List (Deux)
                                    Tracy Rodgers

We just updated the site so that Spam or Inappropriate content can be flagged. You'll notice a Report Abuse button at the bottom of each reply, as well as under Actions to the right of the thread. Once it is hit, it will be sent to Dustin and I to approve or reject the thread. If it's been flagged 5 times, it will not appear to other users.

Thanks for your help in identifying unwanted posts!

-Tracy

1 2 Previous Next