3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 10:59 AM by Alex Kerin

an error occurred validating the table addition

STEVEN BAER

Hi,

I am trying to remove some columns from a table that are not required for the visualization and I am getting the error message above, does anyone know what the story is on this message or more importantly how to resolve it?

thank you

Steve

• 1. Re: an error occurred validating the table addition
          Joshua Milligan

Steve,

It is quite possible that the table calculation was using the column that was removed.  If you edit the table calculation can you if it is referencing any of the fields in the "calculate along..." or "Compute Using..." or "Order Along..."?

It would help to give a more specific answer  if you  can send a screenshot of the Table Calculation dialog (and advanced dialog if you are using an advanced calculation).

Joshua

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: an error occurred validating the table addition
            STEVEN BAER

Hi Joshua,

I appreciate your reply, interestingly enough I get this same error when I try to add a column from a table into Tableau. Yesterday I was working with a colleague and he was able to add a column with no problem. The difference between the us was that he had a few connections each joining 3 or 4 tables whereas I had a connection that  joined about 9 tables together. So I think my attempt to add a column was timing out or something to that affect. I guess the it is better to have a more smaller connections and then blend the data than one monster connection with a ton of tables.

thank you again

Steve

• 3. Re: an error occurred validating the table addition
              Alex Kerin

With something that complex (not that it should be an issue), maybe you could create a view on the db?